Disgusterous

Author Topic: Neighbours  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Neighbours
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »
I have been in House 2 since October, I think, and in all that time I have managed to avoid all contact with the neighbours - both either side and opposite and at the back. I imagine they think I am a ghostly presence. House 2 is on a small estate so if I go out I have to run a gauntlet of twitching curtains and people eyeing me over fences. The old bloke opposite is the worst offender and I make a point of ignoring him ostentatiously. Some have rung my bell - I ignore them. Of course, now it has been going on for so long it is impossible to change the terms of the game.

That is all. I quite like this anonymity. Do you talk to yours?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: Neighbours
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
I am end of terrace ( a terrace of 4) and have 3 houses behind. Next door is a young studenty rugby playing bloke who has just recently acquired a new GF. Their bedroom is next to mine  eeek: . Don't know if I could look him in the face to talk to him at the moment  lol:

But on the whole he is a nice chap. 2 houses behind are rented out to polish builders and their families - they are always quite pleasant to say hello to.

The other house behind is full of a orrible family ...their most frequent visitors are the police  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
I have made friends with the Scot who lives over the road from us .... mainly because we share a jaundiced view of life, the Welsh and suffer similar ailments. His wife is dying and taking a long time over it, he is manic depressive (Bi-polar), or so the doctors say, but like me he argues he is not depressed, simply pissed off ~ when not pissed off he is usually simply pissed.

I speak to others in and around the village who I have got to know over the nine years we have lived here. I know them either through the magazine or because they too have children. Kids and dogs usually get one talking to others at the school gate or in the park. People tend to come to me for information or help because I edit and publish the magazine.

As for the actual next door neighbours .... never talk to them. One side the property is rented and occupied by a bunch of odd balls from a far eastern clime and on the other side they are Welsh and thus beyond comprehension. One old dear, in her eighties, who lives behind us we speak to and exchange Christmas cards with but that has been since her husband died four years ago and somebody has to keep an eye on her. We sometimes do her shopping and stuff. Most other people I exchange a nod with and that is about it.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:19:09 PM »
The neighbours with the other half of semi are an old(ish) couple with one grown up son living there. Nice people and they even hold a key to my house, the woman would always look after my cat and was as upset as I when he died. There's nobody the other side. Young couple across the road with two very young children. Also very nice. One side of them is somewhat 'extended' family who run an ice cream and catering business from the house. They overly decorate the house at Chrismas. (c.f. picture I posted) and the other side another old(ish) couple - 'curtain twitchers' but I get on well enough with them. I know a few others further up and down the street and then a fair few in the village generally.

Offline beerhead

• Wet behind the ears
  • Not quite a regular
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »
In Italy my neighbours are a dentist's surgery which is only open  1 day a week and a lady who's brother runs the local truffle business- we get on well.

In the Uk it's a saffer journo and his family who have become real friends and on the other side a bloke who buys and sells vintage guitars. He is a bit grumpy and a serial litigator as a hobby, but he lets me play some priceless guitars, so I can't complain
Not quite a regular ! Regular as clockwork me !

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
Our nearest neighbours are half a mile away, but most around here are in agriculture of some kind and we get on very well as a community.

There are a few ex-City 'Good life' sorts in the area and they seem tolerable but don't interact much.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
I have always wanted a house miles from anyone.
The sort of place where you can see the buggers coming and get off a few shots before they know you've spotted 'em.

This would be good

As would
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
I am surrounded by neighbours, and yes, mostly I do speak to them. Far too numerous to list, all types, colours, nationalities... some enobled, mostly ignoble, some famous, some infamous  surrender:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
I have lived most of my adult life in the middle of no where which has suited me just fine, now living in a city it has it's benifits have only been here 6 months and have only met three/four of the neighbours, Mrs Patel who wants me to buy compost for her, the Chinese girlie with the terrier who  walks the premisis in pjs and a hoodie along with her dog of course and the young couple next door who need the odd parcle taking in and who DJs well into the night and leaves his keys in the door.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
Miss D has met my neighbours....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »

They are lovely  cloud9:
Skubber

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
I have been in House 2 since October, I think, and in all that time I have managed to avoid all contact with the neighbours - both either side and opposite and at the back. I imagine they think I am a ghostly presence. House 2 is on a small estate so if I go out I have to run a gauntlet of twitching curtains and people eyeing me over fences. The old bloke opposite is the worst offender and I make a point of ignoring him ostentatiously. Some have rung my bell - I ignore them. Of course, now it has been going on for so long it is impossible to change the terms of the game.

That is all. I quite like this anonymity. Do you talk to yours?

You are just a miserable old recluse with a matching and essential scruffy beard.

On saying that, I don't talk or even look at me neighbours, apart from next door, cus they are all miserable noisy tits.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »

They are lovely  cloud9:

They speak highly of you too...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour