Disgusterous

Author Topic: Does anyone actually ever fall for these now?  (Read 503 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Does anyone actually ever fall for these now?
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
Fresh in. 1st one in ages tbh. ::)

ATTN:TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Sir/Madam,
I am Mrs Sarah Ogah, from Kuwait.I am married to late Mr Alex Ogah, who worked with Kuwait Embassy in Ivory Coast for Twenty-Six years before he died in the year 2005,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days.We were married for Eighteen years with a duaghter (Silvia) who later died in a motor accident.Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians....lah de dah de diddly dum

Etc; etc; etc; etc; etc....zzzzzzzz  sleep021
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:55:48 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Does anyone actually ever fall for these now?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »
This was the best scam email I ever recieved

Subject: Nigerian Astronaut Wants To Come Home
Dr. Bakare Tunde
Astronautics Project Manager
National Space Research and Development Agency
(NASRDA)
Plot 555
Misau Street
PMB 437
Garki, Abuja, FCT NIGERIA

Dear Mr. Sir,

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.

Kindly expedite action as we are behind schedule to enable us include downpayment in this financial quarter.

Please acknowledge the receipt of this message via my direct number 234 (0) 9-234-2220 only.

Yours Sincerely, Dr. Bakare Tunde
Astronautics Project Manager
tip@nasrda.gov.ng
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
"He is in good humour but wants to come home..."

happy001 happy001 happy001

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »
Nigerian fraudsters have relieved a number of Edmonton women of a total of $300,000

One unnamed middle-aged divorcee - who admitted to losing "a lot" of money - was baited last September by a text message purportedly from a US businessman buying antiques in Nigeria. It read: "You know, you're a very pretty lady, I like your profile."

The victim, who was presumably identified on an online dating site, said: "You feel very flattered."

The romance blossomed via text messages, emails and instant messaging, and the scammer faithfully promised to fly to Canada to marry the lovestruck mugu. She explained: "You can't wait to get home from work, to message them. They're not like your partner in life - they're always there. And it's always good things [they say], right? It's never bad stuff. It's what everybody wants to hear."

Once firmly hooked, the woman then fell for a classic fleece. Requests for cash quickly "flooded in", including a claim that the con artist's son was in a NIgerian hospital and "needed money for three surgeries".

She said: "I had so many friends tell me, 'don't send money'. But you love that person, you believe what they say. You don't want to stop."

After five months, during which other scammers also moved to extract cash from the unwitting victim - including one who offered unspecified Nigerian "police help" in return for wonga - the woman finally called the Canadian police.

She said of the Casanova crook: "How could you do this to me? Take away my money, my self-esteem. They took my life, basically."

The victim concluded: "You think you're smarter than [the crooks], but you're not. It can happen to anyone."

Detective Mark Johnson of Edmonton police explained that the woman was "not alone in getting duped by the same elaborate scam". He admitted cops would "have to rely on Nigerian police to find and arrest the crooks", but stressed that the victims could probably wave goodbye to their cash due to a "patchy foreign court system".

Banghead Banghead Banghead - all it takes it for you to say something nice  rubschin:

Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
the con artist's son was in a NIgerian hospital and "needed money for tree surgeries".  rubschin:

Banghead Banghead Banghead - all it takes is for you to say something nice  rubschin:

You are unlikely to be conned in here then.  whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »
Fresh in. 1st one in ages tbh. ::)

ATTN:TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Sir/Madam,
I am Mrs Sarah Ogah, from Kuwait.I am married to late Mr Alex Ogah, who worked with Kuwait Embassy in Ivory Coast for Twenty-Six years before he died in the year 2005,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days.We were married for Eighteen years with a duaghter (Silvia) who later died in a motor accident.Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians....lah de dah de diddly dum

Etc; etc; etc; etc; etc....zzzzzzzz  sleep021

You ignore it mate ~ Nick will just get richer and richer.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
the con artist's son was in a NIgerian hospital and "needed money for tree surgeries".  rubschin:

Banghead Banghead Banghead - all it takes is for you to say something nice  rubschin:

You are unlikely to be conned in here then.  whistle:

So true  sad24:
Skubber