Disgusterous

Author Topic: Off roading question  (Read 1540 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Off roading question
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
Mainly aimed at BM this one, seeing as he's the other off roader in 'ere. happy088

So, you come to a river in convoy that you've never crossed before, about 3' deep but flowing slowly. A few whirlpools but none on the route you're taking.
The car in front wades through but then stops at the exit just out of the water of said river.

Do you follow through and wait behind him to keep the convoy moving, all four wheels still in the water, or do you wait and only go when you can see your exit is clear?  rubschin:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Re: Off roading question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »
 Popcorn:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:45 PM »
Only enter when the exit is clear.  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »

Thank you!  worthy:

Near punch up on Sunday when the gobalot of the party started hollering abuse at me for not wading through immidiately, then his lap dog joined in too.
Made even werse when he started havin' a go at me when I finally got through, and he sarcastically asked if that's what LANTRA trained me to do?  ::)
I was bloody furious tbqath, but having Growler jnr with me was all the restraint I needed to prevent me lamping and lobbing him into the river.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

Thank you!  worthy:

Near punch up on Sunday when the gobalot of the party started hollering abuse at me for not wading through immidiately, then his lap dog joined in too.
Made even werse when he started havin' a go at me when I finally got through, and he sarcastically asked if that's what LANTRA trained me to do?  ::)
I was bloody furious tbqath, but having Growler jnr with me was all the restraint I needed to prevent me lamping and lobbing him into the river.

Wankers!  ::)

Why would you wade into a river with no way out...?

What if the other vehicle had broken down?

No doubt they'd also follow another vehicle down a steep incline 6" from the bumper in front...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
Only enter when the exit is clear.  happy088

Thank you!  worthy:

Made even werse when he started havin' a go at me when I finally got through, and he sarcastically asked if that's what LANTRA trained me to do?  ::)

Wankers!  ::)

Why would you wade into a river with no way out...?

What if the other vehicle had broken down?

No doubt they'd also follow another vehicle down a steep incline 6" from the bumper in front...?

Maybe not 6", but most of them too damned close for comfort.
It's the same when we came to huge troughs of fairly deep and muddy water. Most of them just plough in behind each other.
I got critisised for holding back and waiting for the water to settle down, or at least to let the wave created come back towards me and then follow it back upstream, bloody arseholes. Angry9:

I think they feel intimidated and like to goad me because I've got my instructors certificate.
I DON'T brag about it, in fact I never even mention it tbh, even when I see them driving like tits.

I won't be venturing out green laning with that particular mob again. noooo:

I just wanted to make sure I was seeing and carrying out the correct proceedure in relation to my actions, or lack of them in this case. ;)
I'm p'raps a little bit too cautious sometimes, but you don't often get second chances if things aren't done with due consideration and safety towards both others and yourself/passengers.

Far too much flippancy and reckless behaviour in this off roading. You Tube is full of examples of dickheads who thought they knew best, bloody cocks. ::)
All a great laugh in'it, until someone gets seriously hurt or killed of course.  whistle:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:58:32 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
Mainly aimed at BM this one, seeing as he's the other off roader in 'ere. happy088

The other sporting off roader.

Some of us do it for a living
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »

The other sporting off roader.

Some of us do it for a living

Sorry DS. Of course you do.  ;)
Only difference is that we do it for leisure generally, so the circumstances tend to dictate if you are going to have to deal and put up with knob heads like these en-route or not.
You can't just turn around to get away from the situation either. Some of these green lanes are 10-20 miles long in extremely remote areas, beautiful but potentially lethal if you don't follow proceedures, and some of these eejits seemto think that following them would be a slight to the character and big tough gruff masculinity. ::)

Safety and common sense are equally important for all of us using off road machinery for whatever reasons, and I'm proud to say that I haven't put a dent on my off roader or broken any mechanical component due to inconsiderate unsympathetic driving in 3 years...yet. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:14:59 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »
The ideal off road vehicle ~ note the neat canon to remove those blocking your way. whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »