Disgusterous

Author Topic: Tax Codes  (Read 681 times)

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
Tax Codes
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
Anyone her had a tax code change notification?

We both had them saying our new code was BR (basic rate)

I queried mine and was told that as I wasn't working and not drawing a pension it would make no difference - just to provide my new P45 to any future employeer/pension supplier and I would get my old code back.

Mrs Tel queried hers (last Thursday) and was immediately that it was wrong and it would be put back - letter came today giving her her old code back.

Basically if you get a BR code, you get no allowances which works out at over ?100 per month too much tax being paid!

Just more cock-ups.  censored:

RTFM

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Tax Codes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
Didn't I read somewhere (Leg-Iron prolly) that there is a known fault with the system but they are only fixing it when people call up and complain...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »
A battle I have been fighting with HMC&R since long before they ceased to be HM Rev.

Small pension is taxed at 40% and has been for years now. They insist that I have to have a BR code ..... every so often they give me a rebate. (3 in 10 years to be accurate) and then spend the following year saying that they shouldn't have and taxing me at BR again. It is only about £400 per annum but it bloody annoys me so every year I instigate an appeal and claim a rebate and every year we exchange long letters and I follow their appeal process to the bitter end. Sometimes I feel that it is a bit "Dippyish" of me to battle on annually but there are principles involved.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

toffee

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
Didn't I read somewhere (Leg-Iron prolly) that there is a known fault with the system but they are only fixing it when people call up and complain...?

Yes, you did , and yes you have to call them --- how cool is that! It really is all about the people -Zanulabour are the people!
B.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:55:22 PM »
I sometimes wonder if it wasn't better when they came round, counted the number of beds you owned, how many windows your hovel had and asked for a few farthings in tax.

Before my time but I am sure DS will remember.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

toffee

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
I sometimes wonder if it wasn't better when they came round, counted the number of beds you owned, how many windows your hovel had and asked for a few farthings in tax.

Before my time but I am sure DS will remember.
Ahh -the good old days  ;D

And today the Times has a headline about the "winter fuel allowance" -- FFS - do look at the big numbers somebody!! Explode: Explode:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:29:36 PM by Barman »