Author Topic: What ever happened to second hand?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
What ever happened to second hand?
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »
In my search for wheels (see http://www.virtual-pub.com/SMF/index.php?topic=7503.msg199830#msg199830) I thought I would have a look and see if the internet could help.

Typed in "Soap Box" and got loads of stuff but everyone is moaning about the lack of wheels these days (they call them "Carties" in Scotland apparently).

So I Googled "Second Hand Prams" and got a load of stuff up about "PRE-LOVED" items for sale.

Have a look for yourself ..... It seems that nothing is "second hand" anymore ... it is "Pre-loved"

I have found pre-loved cars, pre-loved clothing, pre-loved shoes, even pre-loved pets and unbelievable as it may seem pre-loved homes for sale.

FFS. What is the matter with people these days? Too ashamed to admit that you buy stuff second hand?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:04:15 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: What ever happend to second hand?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
If it's 'vintage' it costs even more  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
SWWLTBO says that I am an old fool ~ Pre-loved implies that the item has been looked after whereas Second Hand means junk ..... So she says. confused:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:11 PM »
I've got some very nice UN pre-loved digital bathroom scales for sale at 2ND HAND prices if that helps?  rubschin:

I take your point Snoops'. Americanism phrase shite. We're all doomed. Banghead

Excellent rant btw, but what are you going to do about it ey, what?  lol:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
Pre-loved...  noooo:

See also Princess on board and other ridiculous shite...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
I've got some very nice UN pre-loved digital bathroom scales for sale at 2ND HAND prices if that helps?  rubschin:

Excellent rant btw, but what are you going to do about it ey, what?  lol:

When I am allowed to get behind the wheel of my car again I shall visit the council tip and drop a couple of quid into the ever outstretched hand of the man employed to stop people taking stuff and have a root around in the skips until I find what I need  eveilgrin:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
I've got some very nice UN pre-loved digital bathroom scales for sale at 2ND HAND prices if that helps?  rubschin:

When I am allowed to get behind the wheel of my car again I shall visit the council tip and drop a couple of quid into the ever outstretched hand of the man employed to stop people taking stuff and have a root around in the skips until I find what I need  eveilgrin:

You've answered your own question really...

When we were kids there were loads of old prams dumped around that wheels could be liberated from...

Now such things are 'recycled' at the 'Amenity Centre'...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »

You've answered your own question really...

When we were kids there were loads of old prams dumped around that wheels could be liberated from...

Now such things are 'recycled' at the 'Amenity Centre'...  noooo:

rubschin:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »

Put a 'wanted' 'ad in the freebie newspaper. Only cost a quid, or even free p'raps?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »
Good plan ~ since I publish the only local free newspaper round here...... trouble is the next issue isn't published until 1st April.

Funny thing is that the lad's mate is the son of the directors of our local coach/bus company ~ he is planning on asking his parents if there is anything laying around their garage.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
Good plan ~ since I publish the only local free newspaper round here...... trouble is the next issue isn't published until 1st April.

Funny thing is that the lad's mate is the son of the directors of our local coach/bus company ~ he is planning on asking his parents if there is anything laying around their garage.

I can easily get some slightly damaged insurance right off wheels from various bodyshops.
Bit big problee.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »

I can easily get some slightly damaged insurance right off wheels from various bodyshops.
Bit big problee.

That's what I told him about bus wheels.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »

Bit big problee.

Power to weight ratio.  noooo:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
I suppose the other problem is that you don't see prams any more do you - those high tech buggy things instead with bits of kiddies fingers stuck in the hinge...  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »

Bit big problee.

Power to weight ratio.  noooo:

I was thinking more of fitting them to a plank and then getting the assembled buggy onto the 1 metre wide path down the slope in the local park.