Disgusterous

Author Topic: How much?  (Read 317 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
How much?
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »
By how much would they need to up the price of booze to make you drink less?  rubschin:

Personally I don't see this idea making a scrap of difference to those who "abuse" alcohol.

Setting a minimum price of 50p per unit would save around 2,900 lives a year after 10 years, according to research from Sheffield University.

Public health experts, including Sir Liam Donaldson, the Chief Medical Officer, have called for a minimum price to be set.

But the Government has resisted the idea amid fears that it could affect people drinking only small amounts.

However, the latest research shows that a rate of 50p would cost moderate drinkers only an extra £12 a year.

The price difference would affect harmful drinkers the most, increasing the costs by an average of £163 a year.

There would also be a resultant 41,000 fewer cases of chronic illness, as well as 92,000 fewer hospital admissions linked to alcohol, saving the NHS around £270 million a year.

I just can't see where they are getting the figures.
An average extra spend of £163 a year to maintain the current level of "harmful" drinking. £163 pa is peanuts. Three quid a week per boozer is not going to be noticed by anyone except the Treasury.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/yh4zvh3
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: How much?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
All made up bollocks...

As you said elsewhere... if all these lives (smoking/drinking/obesity/salt) were saved we'd find that we all lived forever...  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: How much?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
Some years back, before the Berlin Wall came down, I was talking to a Hungarian who was visiting the UK. I asked him what the main difference was that he saw between the 2 places. He said that in the UK everything seemed to be permitted unless it was specifically prohibited, whereas in the East, everything was prohibited unless specifically permitted.

How things have changed  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile