Disgusterous

Author Topic: BM's All New "Ouch that's another skinned knuckle" Mini Restoration Thread  (Read 249678 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: BM's All New "Ouch that's another skinned knuckle" Mini Restoration Thread
« Reply #780 on: August 21, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
Define Restoration

Define Rebuild

Which are you attempting?

Rebuild...existing parts that are re-furbishable
Restoration....purchase of new parts that replace old knackered un-refurbishable crap.

That's the way I see it anyway. Shrugs:

Wharever, BM's my new best friend   cloud9: for having the balls to take on this difficult project.

Thank you

It was a serious question

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

OR

Vehicle restoration is the process of restoring a vehicle that is either partially scrapped or otherwise life expired back to its original working condition. Automotive restoration can be applied to many different eras of automobile. Heritage railways and railway museums aim to restore and operate restored trains. Bus preservation groups aim to purchase buses  of various eras to restore them to their original operating condition. Trains and buses are often restored to the original authentic livery of their original owner.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #781 on: August 21, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
Define Restoration

Define Rebuild

Which are you attempting?

Rebuild...existing parts that are re-furbishable
Restoration....purchase of new parts that replace old knackered un-refurbishable crap.

That's the way I see it anyway. Shrugs:

Wharever, BM's my new best friend   cloud9: for having the balls to take on this difficult project.

Thank you

It was a serious question

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

OR

Vehicle restoration is the process of restoring a vehicle that is either partially scrapped or otherwise life expired back to its original working condition. Automotive restoration can be applied to many different eras of automobile. Heritage railways and railway museums aim to restore and operate restored trains. Bus preservation groups aim to purchase buses  of various eras to restore them to their original operating condition. Trains and buses are often restored to the original authentic livery of their original owner.

You obviously have a point to make - I'm just too thick to see it I'm afraid.... Shrugs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #782 on: August 21, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
No point being made nor attempted ~ honestly.
There is a difference both in law and in fact between the Restoration and the Rebuilding of a vehicle. Given the number of new parts involved I simply wondered how you saw what you are doing.
No Points Scoring, No Sarcasm, No Piss Taking .... a genuine interest as to which you thought you were undertaking and how your intentions measured up to the recognised definitions.
If, for example, you intended to sell or even "show" the finished mini how would you describe it? Rebuilt or Restored. That was genuinely all I was asking.

Would you rather I shut up?

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #783 on: August 21, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
I guess the ideal is to have it just as it was when it rolled off the production line.  rubschin:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #784 on: August 21, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
I suppose a restoration is a rebuild depending on how you want to define the two werds.
Was'the dictionary got to say about it?  rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #785 on: August 21, 2010, 12:31:36 PM »

BUT

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts

In order to retain the original registration mark:

* cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used a car must pass an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and light goods vans must have a enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a ""Q"" prefix registration number will be allocated.

Quite how this applies to a Mini, which even I know doesn't have a chassis as such but rather has a front and rear sub-frame, I have no idea ~ which is one of the reasons I asked.

Someone in the village has an number of minis that he is robbing to make one whole vehicle. A brief debate about him with my local mechanic revealed that the "Re-builder" was running into problems registering his rebuild as he had claimed it was restored and the DVLA would not accept that definition.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:36:27 PM by Snoopy »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #786 on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Can't we just, and most respectfully, call this a classy bodge to save any further arguements? ::)

Offline Nick

« Reply #787 on: August 21, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
Bodge will do  angel1
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #788 on: August 21, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »
If I make a joke I'm wrong ..... If I ask a serious and pertinent question I am wrong.

What I am not doing is arguing.

Be honest with me ~ the answer is not known because not one of you had considered the question until I raised it.

I accept that I am not a "Petrol Head" and have no wish to be one but I am interested in what BM is doing. I asked the question as it will make a difference when he is finished and has to decide what to do with the vehicle.

And I doubt that BM will be pleased with "Bodge" ~ I think he is doing much more than that and if it pleases him bloody good luck to the bloke.

I would not undertake the task myself ~ as previously explained I have owned a number of Minis over the years and frankly got pissed off with spending most weekends under the bloody things trying to mend them. That said they were a lot of fun to drive.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #789 on: August 21, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
I am restoring it... hopefully as close to original condition as possible...

I don't see that what I'm doing is any different to taking any car to a garage - they change bearings, clutch, brakes, etc. and anything else that is worn out... And if you have a crash they'll happily replace whole body panels, bumpers, etc.

The only parts I am replacing are those that are worn out, rubber parts that have perished, parts that are likely to be worn out or beyond reasonable use (wheel bearings) and safety critical items like the brake pipes (which go brittle after many years).

All the other parts are being cleaned, degreased, de-rusted and painted ready for re-assembly...

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #790 on: August 21, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »

I don't see that what I'm doing is any different to taking any car to a garage - they change bearings, clutch, brakes, etc. and anything else that is worn out... And if you have a crash they'll happily replace whole body panels, bumpers, etc.

The only parts I am replacing are those that are worn out, rubber parts that have perished, parts that are likely to be worn out or beyond reasonable use (wheel bearings) and safety critical items like the brake pipes (which go brittle after many years).

All the other parts are being cleaned, degreased, de-rusted and painted ready for re-assembly...

And the dishwasher is knackered
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #791 on: August 21, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »

And the dishwasher is knackered

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #792 on: August 21, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »

Thank you .... that was all I asked.

And for my next trick I will attempt to get blood out of a stone  Banghead

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #793 on: August 21, 2010, 02:04:34 PM »

Essentially anything reusable is being cleaned and re-painted except for brake components which I am replacing with new for obvious reasons....

"I couldn't fix the brakes properly, so I've made the horn louder"
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #794 on: August 21, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »

Essentially anything reusable is being cleaned and re-painted except for brake components which I am replacing with new for obvious reasons....

"I couldn't fix the brakes properly, so I've made the horn louder"

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: