Author Topic: Just how bad can a tradgedy be?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Just how bad can a tradgedy be?
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
Investigations are continuing into the cause of a crash which killed two schoolchildren and a pensioner.
Kieran Goulding, 15, and Chloe Walker, who was celebrating her 16th birthday, died when the bus taking them home from school hit a car on the A66 near Keswick, Cumbria.
Both youngsters were studying at Keswick School in the Lake District and were on their way home on a 49-seater coach on Monday afternoon.
The smash also claimed the life of Patrick Short, 68, from Braithwaite, who was behind the wheel of the only other vehicle involved.

Chloe was described as a "delightful" youngster whose tragic death came just three years after her brother Jordan died from the degenerative condition sanfilippo which he had battled since he was seven. Chloe should have been sitting her GCSE exams this week and planned to go on to study A-levels at the school's sixth form.
The coach they were on and the Honda Civic car driven by parish councillor Mr Short were travelling in opposite directions on a straight stretch of the A66.
Police said the "early indication" was the car had crossed the centre line of the road when it hit the coach which then flipped over. It is not yet known what may have caused 68-year-old Mr Short - children's services manager at Barnardo's Allerdale Children's Centre in Maryport - ( just how ironic could this be?) to cross to the wrong side of the road.

I don't mind admitting that this all did bring tears to my eyes.
I feel so desperately helpless for the parents and cannot even begin to imagine just how devastated they must be.

One of the worst cases of family tradgedy I've heard about for many years.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:23:54 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: Just how bad can a tradgedy be?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »
I agree, absolutely devastating for the families involved.

I have a serious question:

hypothetically, if say the teenagers, Kieran and Chloe turned out to have burnt down their local youth club the previous night how then would you feel about the tragedy?

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
 Popcorn:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »

hypothetically, if say the teenagers, Kieran and Chloe turned out to have burnt down their local youth club the previous night how then would you feel about the tragedy?

Dunno tbh. Hadn't even crossed my mind.
The kids involved have gone and are no longer suffering. The parents, family and friends however have got to try to carry on regardless of what their deceased children may or may not have done, good or bad in the past.
No parent should have to go through the dreadful trauma of TWO of their childrens deaths over a peroid of 3 years, that's what I'm feeling particulary sad about.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:53:13 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
Agreed Growler.  I have tried over the years not to wrap my kids in cotton wool and consequently have had a couple of scares.  I cannot even begin to know the anguish a parent must feel when a child of theirs dies.  There was an incident many years ago when a girl  (6/7) was abducted during the night from a caravan that the family were holidaying in.  She was raped and murdered and was the same age as one of my daughters.  Had me very upset at the time.  surrender:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
As many of you know my daughter died. I visited her grave last week. Worst thing that can happen, without doubt. And I haven't seen The Boy since February which is getting me down now.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:20:59 AM »
As many of you know my daughter died. I visited her grave last week. Worst thing that can happen, without doubt. And I haven't seen The Boy since February which is getting me down now.

THAT needs to be sorted asap and as a matter of the greatest of urgencies over anything else Nick. Seriously.
Solicitor MUST sort out reasonable access NOW!!! Paramount importance.

All kids drive us mad, and regardless of what they get up to, normal decent parents love their own passionately even though we regulary feel like we are at our wits end sometimes.
I suppose I'm extremely lucky with mine.
Sometimes appauling beyond belief at home, BUT absolutely spot on towards others in the outside world, and for that I am grateful. I wouldn't have it any other way tbh.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:25:41 AM by GROWLER »

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »
Yep what he said Nick.  It is seriously unreasonable and not fair on either of you.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
I have paid a fortune to a solicitor who has written 4 or 5 times. No result.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

Further to that, I think it is highly unlikely that would have been the case.

Have you noticed how all the ratty scumbags of society seem to lead 'charmed lives' and live to a ripe old age, yet the really decent ones that actually offer something to society tragically and far too often, get taken away far too prematurely.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:35:03 AM by GROWLER »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
I have paid a fortune to a solicitor who has written 4 or 5 times. No result.

Phone call for IMMIDIATE response as to what he is going to do about a totally unreasonable and quite frankly cruel and intolerable situation, or you contact the Ombudsman...or whatever the govening body is called these days.../Citizens Advice immidiately...meaning today if not right now.
This situation of no access is bang out of order, and probably illegal on some sort of way?

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »
You have a PM

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:56 AM »
David Cameron will be no use whatsoever. whistle:
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
 evil:
 drumroll:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »
You have a PM

Answered, only I don't know why you didn't say it all on here?