Disgusterous

Author Topic: Boilers  (Read 10532 times)

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Boilers
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2010, 10:39:05 AM »
Dead?   scared2:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »
She's fine Growler just in another place at the moment.

So, she evidently keeps YOU informed as to what's going on, and leaves US lot in here fretting and worrying about her ey.
Bloody charming. ::)
Bloody wimmin'. ::)
Bloody piss me RIGHT off. ::)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
Sorry Growler , I have been out but only taking The Brat to where she needs to go today.

On my way home now to make all the necessary phone calls.

Tbh , not feeling very well either ( not self induced either, but still not looking for sympathy  ;)  ) ,

I feel sick, pissed off, tired and hungry .... should be in just the right mood to talk reasonably  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
P.s I'm not being selective about who I keep informed. Miss C had prolly noticed I put something on Face Ache or summat.
We girls are observant like that  whistle:
Skubber

Online Nick

« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »
It got a bit chilly here. I put the heating on and am having a hot soaky bath  cloud9:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
That should be your next profession - salt rubber  evil:
Skubber

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »

RTFM

Online Nick

« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
Shites. We should bomb his house!!!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Unless my memory is going, and I accept that at my age it is more than a possibility, did you not say (Miss D) that you had no current insurance in place to cover for emergencies as you had let it lapse weeks before the boiler breakdown? If this is so then tell Homeserve to take a hike and get someone else in. Homeserve are a large but apparently pretty inefficient company. Why continue to deal with them? They have no contract with you and have been engaged by you to perform a diagnosis and repair on your non functioning boiler. They have been unable to perform this task in a timely manner and have now left matters in such a state that you can detect a gas leakage.

Step one ~
 Contact Emergency number at British Gas and report the leak. That will ensure your safety and get an expert opinion on the cause which will probably point the finger at Homeserve's tradesmen.

Step two~ Tell Homeserve that you have no wish to deal with them further but that you will be billing them for any costs incurred in correcting their mistakes.

Step three~ Employ another tradesman.

Step four ~ Sent bill to Homeserve
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
I used these guys when I had a new boiler and other bits fitted - very efficient, quick, tidy and polite. (Also, only a mile down the road from me)

http://www.glowarm.co.uk/index.asp

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2010, 12:47:49 PM »
I had a new boiler installed 2 years ago. Oil fired as there is no mains gas supply to the village and I didn't want a garden full of Calor Gas bottles. Because of the age of the house and my disability status I secured a grant for the work from the Local Authority who appointed one of their "approved" contractors to carry out the work. The standard of workmanship was appalling but the company refused to accept their mistakes. An appeal to the Building Standards Inspectorate at County Hall did me no good at all. No-one would accept that I could smell fumes from the boiler and that the oil consumption was too high.
So I contacted the manufacturers of the boiler and asked them to inspect the installation. Their engineer found
(i) A major oil leak in the pipework connecting the storage tank to the boiler
(ii) That the boiler had been incorrectly "commissioned" and thus was burning at "Too Rich" a mixture thus using too much oil and causing fumes
(iii) That the oil tank had been incorrectly installed leaving the possibility of a "blow-back" from the boiler should the tank empty which would cause any vapour in the tank to explode.
The engineer kindly wrote his report on the spot and gave me a copy to take to the Building Standards Inspectorate. The boiler, connecting pipes and tank were replaced within 48 hours of my handing in the report.

Top Tip ~ Gather evidence and take it to the top.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »
Sorry Growler , I have been out but only taking The Brat to where she needs to go today.

On my way home now to make all the necessary phone calls.

Tbh , not feeling very well either ( not self induced either, but still not looking for sympathy  ;)  ) , I feel sick, pissed off, tired and hungry .... should be in just the right mood to talk reasonably  noooo:

No no no no no, that is fine. If it's not self induced you will get as much symphony off me as is humanly possible.  happy100
I am actually a very caring Bear you know. cloud9:

Now come 'ere and I'll give you an 'ug ad big wet slobery kiss before i rub it better like, whatever and wherever it is that's 'urtin' that is, hopefully like sort of thing like. cloud9:

Meanwhile, HAVE YOU SORTED OUT THE GAS LEAK LIKE I TOLD YOU TO HOURS AGO? eveilgrin:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »
Unless my memory is going, and I accept that at my age it is more than a possibility, did you not say (Miss D) that you had no current insurance in place to cover for emergencies as you had let it lapse weeks before the boiler breakdown? If this is so then tell Homeserve to take a hike and get someone else in. Homeserve are a large but apparently pretty inefficient company. Why continue to deal with them? They have no contract with you and have been engaged by you to perform a diagnosis and repair on your non functioning boiler. They have been unable to perform this task in a timely manner and have now left matters in such a state that you can detect a gas leakage.

Step one ~
 Contact Emergency number at British Gas and report the leak. That will ensure your safety and get an expert opinion on the cause which will probably point the finger at Homeserve's tradesmen.

Step two~ Tell Homeserve that you have no wish to deal with them further but that you will be billing them for any costs incurred in correcting their mistakes.

Step three~ Employ another tradesman.

Step four ~ Sent bill to Homeserve

I unreservedly endorse the course of action suggested by Snoopy.
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »
:

Meanwhile, HAVE YOU SORTED OUT THE GAS LEAK LIKE I TOLD YOU TO HOURS AGO? eveilgrin:

WELL?!
Half an hour has now passed. Banghead

It's like dealing with the dead in 'ere sometimes. ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:18:28 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
I have contacted Gas Board but tbh there is not much more they can do. They are satisfied I have turned the gas supply off correctly  ::) although did offer to come and check if I had concerns ...said that would not be necessary.

They would also likely be likely to condemn the boiler but as it is not working and we know it is faulty all seems a bit pointless.

Contacted Homeserve .....who said would contact engineer . He rang back about half an hour ago ....informed me I should have rung about an hour ago as they had an engineer in the area then  cussing: ....... patronising wankpiece then went on to suggest it may not be in connection with the actions of the other blokely yesterday.

Lost my temper  redface: - explained will be reporting them for incompetence etc ....

Monday afternoon is the earliest they can come round.

I have in the meantime written a formal letter of complaint and will be sending off to the relevant people.  In the meantime I will look around for someone else.

However I am so sick and tired and fucking fed up of this situation and everything else in my world being a complete kak of steaming shite at the moment that I am going to go to sleep for the rest of the afternoon
Skubber