Disgusterous

Author Topic: Good news at last for the Growler household!  (Read 2234 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Good news at last for the Growler household!
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Growler Jnr. has (verbally) provisionally been offered a temporay full time job (covering maternity leave until at least October) at Chester Zoo Horticultural dept.
To be confirmed next Thursday, which is his last day of job experience there too.

Needless to say,we're all extatic for him (apart from MM who never gets excited about anything for her brother) and he is justifiably over the moon, well at least until October anyway.

He's worked damned hard, even going in to work for nothing voluntarily (as he's been doing once a week since last October) during half term.
The great thing is that he gets on really well with the rest of the gang in there and actually loves ferreting around amongst all the trees bushes and stuff.
Has to go into the animal enclosures sometimes too. Talks to the chimps and stuff, Absolute bliss and I'm a tad jealouse tbh. Even started driving the sit on lawn mower now too, lucky bugger!
Tractors and tipper wagons now beckon.

Just hope this gerl decides her new sprog is more inportant than werk, or it's going to be tears in October. cry:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:17:11 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Good news at last for the Growler household!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »
Excellent news!

I'm sure, once they realise how well he is doing they won't want to let him go in October...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Excellent news!

I'm sure, once they realise how well he is doing they won't want to let him go in October...  noooo:

One of the staff was recently sacked for being off on the sick too regulary, so they are actually one dowm so to speak, but of course, 'cutbacks' etc will deem it a blessing in disguise now no doubt for the management.

Still, monster size development plans for the Zoo are well under way. so even if he can't stay after October, they'll have to be looking for more staff in a year ir two to help manage the new 'Dome'.
Going to be simlar but much much bigger than that place down in Cornwall apparently.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
Chester Zoo Unveils Ambitious Development Plans

Chester Zoo unveiled an ambitious plan for massive development this week. The zoo intends to spend ?225 million on becoming the largest conservation, animal and leisure attraction of its kind in Europe.

Natural Vision, as the project is currently known, will begin with the creation of the only domed ecosystem in the UK. The dome, to be called 'Heart of Africa' will be an African rainforest themed home for a band of gorillas, a troop of chimps, okapi and a variety of tropical birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates all of whom will move freely around the biodome.

Planning permission for first phase which includes the biodome, a 90-bed hotel, a conservation college and a revamped main entrance will be sought later this year.
http://www.chesterzoo-holidays.co.uk/news/chester-zoo-unveils-ambitious-development-plans.html

Count not your planning consent until it is granted ~ there are many who are opposed and with Government restrictions on spending it may be a long time off happening.

CHESTER Zoo has dropped plans for a second hotel as part of its massive redevelopment scheme, following objections from residents.

The revised plans for its Natural Vision project have been sent to Cheshire West and Chester Council and follow a continued period of consultation with local councillors and residents.

Proposals for a garden/plant centre and second hotel on land near to the park and ride at the zoo entrance have been removed from the application.

However, the application for a 150-bed themed hotel on land near the A41 will remain.
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2010/05/28/chester-zoo-drops-second-hotel-plan-after-residents-objections-92534-26539200/
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:38:34 AM »
Excellent news Growler.  happy088

No doubt the start of a fine career.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Good on him, well done - hope they find a way of ensuring they keep him .
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
Can he get an 'ut in the bear enclosure?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
They could get one. For breeding purposes like  eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
Great news Growler. It's about four years since I last visited Chester Zoo. The gardens were lovely (OK, lots of bedding plants, so not exactly my kind of gardens), but superbly kept and a credit to the team
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
Excellent news Growler I wish you all well.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »
Well done the cub!

Sounds like he has found his niche, so many don't these days.
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
Do they have a bear enclosure?

http://www.chesterzoo-holidays.co.uk/zoo-attractions/animals.html#content

Oh yes. cloud9:

Spectacle Bears. Gorgeous and reasonably friendly....bit like me in fact.  cloud9:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
Good news.  I wish him well.  It is a great help when you know which area you are happy working in.  An excellent foundation to start building a career from I think. angel1
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:16:20 AM »
Proceedures.  ::)

This matter still hasn't been concluded, but it will be today.

He was told that due to normal proceedures, he'd have to go through an interview regardless, but they'd leave it until after his holiday.
Today at 11:00 is the day and time. scared2:

We have been priming him what to and what not to say and ask.
The next 1.5 hours could be mapping out the rest of his life here. eeek:

He isn't the best in these situations, and tends to say things that aren't appropriate sometimes.
Ask his auntie for instance.
Rang her up on Monday to thank her for a c/q that she gave him for his 18 th birthday.
When asked what other pressies he'd received, he said, "oh yes, my Uncle (her brother) gave me a c/q for £50"
Fine, but the c/q SHE sent him was for half that value.

Myself and Mrs G were left squirming with embarrasment on his behalf, but he really couldn't see what the problem was. redface:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:21:13 AM by GROWLER »