Disgusterous

Author Topic: More H&S bull  (Read 965 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
More H&S bull
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »

Windscreen water infection risk

Motorists who do not use screenwash for their windscreen wipers risk getting potentially deadly legionnaires' disease, a study reveals.
The warning comes after health experts discovered professional drivers were five times more likely to be infected with the dangerous bug, which is found in warm, stagnant water.
Drivers are now being urged to add screenwash to their wiper water after traces of the legionella bacterium were found in one in five cars that did not have the additive - but in no cars that did.
It is feared that around 20% of legionnaires' disease cases could arise from this type of exposure. The findings come from a Health Protection Agency-led study, which looked at why people at the wheel were more likely to be infected. Most at risk were found to be those driving a van, people who drive through industrial areas, and people who often had the car window open.

But the "most intriguing" higher-risk group was drivers not using screenwash - which kills off the legionella bug, the study authors found. They said: "Not adding screenwash to windscreen wiper fluid is a previously unidentified risk factor and appears to be strongly associated with community acquired sporadic cases of legionnaires' disease.

...and here's me thinking they couldn't possibly think of anything else to scare us with.  eveilgrin:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: More H&S bull
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:12:04 AM »
And now, a word from our sponsor:

I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
But it's all going to get better  whistle:

A former Cabinet Minister has spoken of his ambition to stop health and safety legislation being seen as a "music hall joke".

Lord Young, who has been asked by Prime Minister David Cameron to lead a Whitehall-wide review of health and safety laws, said that over the past 10 to 12 years a "nanny state" had "really" developed.

"There is no question, in any dangerous occupation, in any place where people are in danger, health and safety rules will apply," he told BBC Breakfast.

"But there are so many parts of life where it is an absolute nonsense. If there were still music halls, it would be a music hall joke."

The former trade and industry secretary under Margaret Thatcher listed examples such as restaurants banning toothpicks on health and safety grounds and a pancake race where contestants were asked to walk as it had been raining.

He added another example of a school where pupils were taught to put on make-up but were told the make-up person could not use wipes to remove it because of health and safety.

He added that bureaucracy surrounding health and safety had risen "alarmingly", with teachers refusing to take pupils on school trips because of the red tape they have to deal with before going.

Lord Young is expected to report to Downing Street in the summer.

Skubber

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
Darwin at work. Persons stupid enough not to add screenwash deserve it, if indeed it can happen.

Regardless of the disease risk, screenwash will prevent the water bottle from freezing and possibly splitting. So pay a couple of quid for screenwash, or possibly have to stump up shed loads more for a new bottle.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
Do NOT do what I mistakenly did last year: buy the 'ready mixed with water' variety.

As expensive as the concentrate, but only last 25% as long. cussing:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:19 AM »
Do NOT do what I mistakenly did last year: buy the 'ready mixed with water' variety.

I knew I would eventually find someone who admitted to falling for that one.  whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:17:26 AM »
Darwin at work. Persons stupid enough not to add screenwash deserve it, if indeed it can happen.

Regardless of the disease risk, screenwash will prevent the water bottle from freezing and possibly splitting. So pay a couple of quid for screenwash, or possibly have to stump up shed loads more for a new bottle.

Absolutely dootley agree with you there oh Moaniomondosaurus, but that's not the issue. It's the bloody H&S brigade at it YET again that's getting right upon my tits.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »

I knew I would eventually find someone who admitted to falling for that one.  whistle:

I hate to admit it, but redface:

The bloody labelling is so so obscure though in'it, and it IS a bloody scam. cussing:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:23:54 AM »

Absolutely dootley agree with you there oh Moaniomondosaurus, but that's not the issue. It's the bloody H&S brigade at it YET again that's getting right upon my tits.

Agreed. Doubtless they will be issuing guidance to all drivers to turn their air-con onto "recirculate" rather than external feed, when washing the screen. Oh, and keep the windows closed  noooo:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
You'd have to be pretty desperate to drink the water in your windscreen washer bottle  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
On the subject of Air Con ~ why do they bother to fit it in a Freelander which comes with electric windows, sun roofs x 2, electronic opening rear window (in the back door) and a removable rear top? Puzzles me that anyone would ever switch on the aircon. noooo:

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:43 AM »

RTFM

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:25 AM »
You'd have to be pretty desperate to drink the water in your windscreen washer bottle  rubschin:

Can anyone, anybody, anywhere, actually explain to me what tf that^^^^^ load of old bollox...as usual  ::), has even remotely got to do with the issue being discussed here please?  Shrugs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »
Another water related scare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8254206.stm

Good job I only ever have a bi-annual scrub 'n' rub down in me mountain stream then. whistle:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:36:46 AM »
Another water related scare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8254206.stm

Good job I only ever have a bi-annual scrub 'n' rub down in me mountain stream then. whistle:

Hopefully only above 3000 feet, otherwise mountain streams are full of sheep piss.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.