Author Topic: What type of punishments did you get at school  (Read 1265 times)

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
What type of punishments did you get at school
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
I have fond memories of my old school. Catholic, half the staff were priests, the masters were a mix of eccentric and comic.
Punishements were mainly the strap (barbers strop), cane or slipper. Occasionally a cross country run, sometimes detention, including saturdays.
There were some wierd & wonderful things that happened at that school and some I have some fantastic memories of it.
This is an excerpt from the Friends Reunited site and is one of the "tamer" instances.

Question/comment -
Is it my imagination or did Fr. XXXXXX have a dreadful punishment, which he called “The Biscuit Tin”? I remember hearing that it involved having to crawl round the rugby pitch a few times whilst wearing women’s clothes, which he kept in a biscuit tin under his bed. Have I dreamt this or did it really happen? Did anyone out there actually suffer this fate? Please let us know!

Reply -
The Biscuit Tin? Yes, quite true. The ritual went thus: the guilty party was required to run around the playing field without trousers, during lunch break (to ensure maximum audience); every so many paces, he would stop, beat the tin, and cry "Mama" in a loud voice.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:41:29 AM by tel »

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: What type of punishements did you get at school
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
Well!  eeek:

That explains a lot.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
Hey, this is a rival thread  evil:. But then again, those Catholics take some beating (snigger)

ANd what is the punishment for spelling punishment wrongly?  whistle:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: What type of punishments did you get at school
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
For minor misdemeanours, we were deprived of fagging services for a period of time.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:54:51 AM »

At Senior School:
Cane ~ 3 or 6 strokes across the hand could be and were delivered by any master at their whim. Few explanations were ever given ~ just "Hold out your hand"
6 to 12 strokes of the cane could and were delivered across the arse by the Head, usually in front of the assembled school. The head used to put on an old fashioned wicket keepers glove to protect his hand when he wielded the cane. Prior to the punishment he would say "Assume the position" and you bent to touch your toes. He would then tell the assembled school what your crime was before whacking you with all his might.
Wooden Rule ~ Used by one master in particular who liked to bring the edge of the ruler down across the back of your fingers~ I got 6 off the head for grabbing the ruler and belting the sadistic little b@st@rd with it but it was never used on another boy after that and the master left at the end of the term.

At Junior School the weapons of choice were:
Cane ~ Head and deputy head
"Slipper" (actually a size ten plimsoll) .... some masters had left shoes, some had right, so I assume they bought half a dozen pairs and shared them round.
One master in particular was a deadly shot with the nearest piece of chalk or blackboard eraser.

At all levels:
Sarcasm ~ the worst of all weapons .... used liberally in those days.

Online Nick

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
For minor misdemeanours, we were deprived of fagging services for a period of time.
Were you at school in California?

Online Nick

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »

At Senior School:
Cane ~ 3 or 6 strokes across the hand could be and were delivered by any master at their whim. Few explanations were ever given ~ just "Hold out your hand"
6 to 12 strokes of the cane could and were delivered across the arse by the Head, usually in front of the assembled school. The head used to put on an old fashioned wicket keepers glove to protect his hand when he wielded the cane. Prior to the punishment he would say "Assume the position" and you bent to touch your toes. He would then tell the assembled school what your crime was before whacking you with all his might.
Wooden Rule ~ Used by one master in particular who liked to bring the edge of the ruler down across the back of your fingers~ I got 6 off the head for grabbing the ruler and belting the sadistic little b@st@rd with it but it was never used on another boy after that and the master left at the end of the term.

"Slipper" (actually a size ten plimsoll) .... some masters had left shoes, some had right, so I assume they bought half a dozen pairs and shared them round.
One master in particular was a deadly shot with the nearest piece of chalk or blackboard eraser.

At all levels:

I was daily whacked with a gym shoe for a year when 7. It was for smudging my handwriting practice. Bastard ought to have conceded I was left handed and let me use a pencil  cussing: cussing:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »
Were you at school in California?

Don't show your ignorance Nick ~ we are in the presence of Minor Royalty here.

Fancy having to make one's own toast and toss yourself orf. lol:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »
I had a really pervy RK teacher.   This was in the mid 70s when the new fangled scrolling green boards arrived.  He would make you, well, not you obviously, me, stand facing the board, on tiptoe with my arms stretched up scroll the metal chalk holder up to the level of my fingertips and make me stand like that for periods of time.  He made me do this when I was 14 and had refused to do the dance of the 7 veils.  The fact that I was a pubescent girl and mini  skirts were in had nothing to do with it, I'm sure. noooo: evil: evil:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Online Nick

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
I don't quite follow that. Can you demonstrate and post the result on You TUbe please?  angel1

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »

At Senior School:

At all levels:

I was daily whacked with a gym shoe for a year when 7. It was for smudging my handwriting practice. Bastard ought to have conceded I was left handed and let me use a pencil  cussing: cussing:

I too am left handed und at Primary school would get into trouble for not being able to write in a straight line and for smudging. evil:  Not being able to cut things out properly too. evil:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Online Nick

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
Many of us here are left handed

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
I don't quite follow that. Can you demonstrate and post the result on You TUbe please?  angel1

Of course I can. lol:
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
My children don't believe this is how school used to be. noooo:

The THW was enraged when she was told not to wear a particular colour nail varnish to school ... she was 13 at the time.

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
Many of us here are left handed

It reveals our artistic side, our rapier wit and humour I believe. angel1
J Basil Boothroyd