Author Topic: Nature notes for Growler  (Read 370 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Nature notes for Growler
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
Out at dinner last night I took The Boy along to the nearby village shop. A  family of swallows nests directly over the doorway each year (crapping on customers, but no one seems to mind) and I suspected they were back again. Four teeny chicks and Mum and Dad swallows bizzy hoovering up flies and stuff and then back home to feed them. As Mum and Dad approached the chicks' beaks opened wide and pink. I swear their mouths are bigger than their heads.  eeek:

The Boy pronounced it dead cute and could hardly be dragged away. Growler should check it out before they grow up.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: Nature notes for Growler
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
Yep mouth bigger than head sounds about right and the one with the biggest moth usually gets the most to eat, many years from now they won't have heads they will just have one great big gaping beak. ;)
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Yep mouth bigger than head sounds about right and the one with the biggest moth usually gets the most to eat, many years from now they won't have heads they will just have one great big gaping beak. ;)

Yes, large moths are very nourishing for chicks. 
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
 lol: redface:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
At the site we were staying at on our last night near Verona, there were these mysterious berds in the tree directly above our pikey van that sounded like intermitent electrical interference that would go on for up to 15 minutes at a time. Banghead
 Bit like those rancid magpies only werse.
Haven't got the foggiest what they were, but I tell you, if I'd 'ad a gun they'd have been on the BBQ that night. eveilgrin:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
Out at dinner last night I took The Boy along to the nearby village shop. A  family of swallows nests directly over the doorway each year (crapping on customers, but no one seems to mind) and I suspected they were back again. Four teeny chicks and Mum and Dad swallows bizzy hoovering up flies and stuff and then back home to feed them. As Mum and Dad approached the chicks' beaks opened wide and pink. I swear their mouths are bigger than their heads.  eeek:

The Boy pronounced it dead cute and could hardly be dragged away. Growler should check it out before they grow up.

Where exactly is this shop you speak of then? I'd quite like to see them. cloud9:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »

Where exactly is this shop you speak of then? I'd quite like to see them. cloud9:

Next door to Battenberg Junction I expect.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 04:23:15 AM »

Next door to Battenberg Junction I expect.

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »

In the village where I formerly lived, above the doorway of the village stores (next to the Chinese restaurant)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile