Author Topic: Let's see if we can steal a bit of glory  (Read 275 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Let's see if we can steal a bit of glory
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/how-the-battle-of-britain-started-with-the-battle-of-scotland-1.1040497

The gist of the story in the Scottish Herald is that the Battle of Britain (70 year ago) should have been the Battle of Scotland because aircraft from RAF Leuchars in Scotland shot down a German Bomber before the "Battle of Britain" is deemed to have taken place.
Luftwaffe pilots dubbed the Firth of Forth ‘suicide corner’ after falling to Scots air aces – eight months ahead of ‘the big one’.

A couple of facts.
(i)There were Scottish and English pilots and other RAF personnel based at Leuchars just as there were Scots, English, Welsh, Polish, Canadian, American, New Zealanders and Australians based at airfields all over the UK.
(ii) It was not the "Battle OF Britain" ..... Churchill gave it the name when he referred to it in a speech as "The Battle For Britain". He later changed it to the Battle of Britain when he recorded it for the BBC mainly I suspect because the newspapers had picked up on it and it fitted their headlines better.

Fvcking Scots tossers. When will they learn that they are part of Britain and we are stuck with them whether we like it or not? The Act of Union in 1707 came about because the Scots were bankrupt and begged the English parliament to take them into the Union and pay their debts. Now they act like they own the place.
 cussing: B@st@rds!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: Let's see if we can steal a bit of glory
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
And they can't make whiskey...bleedin' porridge wogs.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Let's see if we can steal a bit of glory
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
And they can't make whiskey...bleedin' porridge wogs.

Indeed ~they make Whisky  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.