Author Topic: How have times changed?  (Read 933 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Re: How have times changed?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »

BUT, we had some sense of doing it for ourselves. YOu left, branched out, ploughed your own furrow, made clankers, but you were adult. Time to go and do it.

As did I.  Coming from the same camp as our venerable DS (not literally, you understand) the imperative was clear. Go forth young lad and make something of yourself.

I knitted a Guernsey Fisherman's sweater of which I was very proud.    drumroll:

Seriously, the dues were paid back, the filial duty undertaken, the rites performed. My two nephews seem to be taking to their tasks with vigour; the elder having left school working full time and earning as much as he can, the younger seeking work experience with a company involved in astro-physics  eeek:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:56:47 AM »
Me too ~ left school then home and went into RAF at fifteen and a half. Learned to stand on my own two feet (literally ~ for hours at a time).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:00:01 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
Ooooh how timely this thread is. Had a hooooge bust up with the Brat last night because I apparently do not treat her 'like an equal' .

That's because you are not I explained  Banghead.

I calmy shouted that when she brings a wage into the house, does her share of the housework , repairs, maintainance, shopping etc , is not so completely bloody selfish ...then I may consider treating her as an equal but it is a long, long time off  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 11:45:23 AM »
I calmly shouted

happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
Had a hooooge bust up with the Brat last night because I apparently do not treat her 'like an equal' .

"Yes dear, isn't life tragic"
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 12:12:59 PM »
Ooooh how timely this thread is. Had a hooooge bust up with the Brat last night because I apparently do not treat her 'like an equal' .

That's because you are not I explained  Banghead.

I calmy shouted that when she brings a wage into the house, does her share of the housework , repairs, maintainance, shopping etc , is not so completely bloody selfish ...then I may consider treating her as an equal but it is a long, long time off  noooo:

Does 'like an equal' mean being let out to get pissed with the boys...?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: