Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Kindle
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
Charging  cloud9:

Oh ~ and lottsa 'structions to ignore
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
Did you go for the BIG one?  I've done nothing about ordering one ~ been too preoccupied with other stuff currently.

Will await the Snoopy Review  ;D
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
If by "big one" you mean the most expensive one with "Free 3G + Wi-fi, 6inch display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation"

I have to admit the answer is  redface:

YES!
Of bloody course I did.

Had I fed SWWLTBO the idea as a chrissy pressy hint I might have got the little one and had to wait until Dec 25th for it tunble:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
Update on Kindle

Brilliant device. Easy to use, easy to read (font size is adjustable) easy to navigate. I hadn't realised that one can make notes on the pages, save selected passages separately from the book within the Kindle (for easy reference), download and listen to music whilst reading, using headphones (not supplied) or via built in speakers, record comments via the built in microphone, navigate to a particular passage previously highlighted ~ invaluable for someone editing a magazine who needs to refer back to a nagging memory of something read or for a student researching an essay. Also available to download are magazines, periodicals and newspapers (either in part, article by article or as a whole). Downloads are quick ~ I downloaded a book last night in under 20 seconds and half the price of the actual book. The range of books etc available is huge and the gizmo will hold the equivalent of 3500 books. I love it to bits.

All that said, and I would recommend a Kindle to any reader (it can handle talking books for the blind!!) it will never replace a book in my life. It is a convenience, an easy way of taking one's reading wherever (Holidays, hospital, on the train etc etc) and it will save a lot of storage problems in the house but it does not have the same pleasure as handling a real book. It is a different experience altogether and one that takes getting used to.

For BM ~ No shagging

PS should you break the machine or lose it then all the books etc you have purchased through your Kindle Account with Amazon are available free of charge as they maintain a back-up of all your downloads.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:06:37 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
Thanks Snoopy ~ I've been dithering on this but that has made up my mind.  happy088

My daughter has also been dropping hints about getting one as a pressie.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »
Impressive!   happy088
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
Update on Kindle

Brilliant device. Easy to use, easy to read (font size is adjustable) easy to navigate. I hadn't realised that one can make notes on the pages, save selected passages separately from the book within the Kindle (for easy reference), download and listen to music whilst reading, using headphones (not supplied) or via built in speakers, record comments via the built in microphone, navigate to a particular passage previously highlighted ~ invaluable for someone editing a magazine who needs to refer back to a nagging memory of something read or for a student researching an essay. Also available to download are magazines, periodicals and newspapers (either in part, article by article or as a whole). Downloads are quick ~ I downloaded a book last night in under 20 seconds and half the price of the actual book. The range of books etc available is huge and the gizmo will hold the equivalent of 3500 books. I love it to bits.

All that said, and I would recommend a Kindle to any reader (it can handle talking books for the blind!!) it will never replace a book in my life. It is a convenience, an easy way of taking one's reading wherever (Holidays, hospital, on the train etc etc) and it will save a lot of storage problems in the house but it does not have the same pleasure as handling a real book. It is a different experience altogether and one that takes getting used to.

For BM ~ No shagging

PS should you break the machine or lose it then all the books etc you have purchased through your Kindle Account with Amazon are available free of charge as they maintain a back-up of all your downloads.

Tempting, but I like the feel of a book in my hands.

How much was it, like?  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »
£149.00

I'll bring it when we do lunch next week and you can try it for yourself. It certainly is different to holding a book but ..........
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:16:53 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
Have to say I have been very close to picking one of the new generation up. Terribly affordable and they have finally got the 3G sorted out for the UK. Your review may push me over the edge!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
Up-date.
I have discovered by trial and error (no instruction reading for me 'cos I'm a bloke like)...
That you cannot read a Kindle in the dark. You need as much lighting as you do to read a book. I had expected the screen to be PC Monitor like but it is not. This means there is little eye-strain involved which was a minor concern of mine. Staring at a PC screen can get wearing on the old mincers but Kindle have that problem cracked.
ALSO
The speaking book bit is for real. Any book can be read to you by either a male or female voice. Just two clicks on the appropriate button and you are being read to in a rather Stephen Hawkins like (Dalek) voice. The voice can be listened to through the built in speakers or via headphones.
BE WARNED
Buying books is TOO EASY. I have already bought 3 'cos I wanted them. F*ck knows when I'll get round to reading them but they are about 1/3 of hardback price. Still I have only spent £24 whereas had I bought the hardback copies they would have cost around £62.
I blame the Sunday Telegraph book review!!!   cussing:

DDD

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
I bought the Significant Spender one of these as an Xmas/Birthday present. She, unfortunately, took the call from the courier and wondered 'just what' was arriving from America. As soon as she found out, Xmas and birthday was advanced by + 7 weeks.

I'll leave her to comment, but that maybe in around 2015 - I've not spoken to her since it arrived around 3 weeks ago!  whistle:

How was it that you paid £149 Snoops? SS's cost me $89 + shipping + bastard import tax + VAT (which I'll fiddle back through the company). Allowing for the poor exchange rate and taking the VAT-hit if need be, I reckon it cost around £125

I had to get the USA version - apparently the UK version is 'blocked' if you dowload more than 5 books in another country.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »
I bought the Significant Spender one of these as an Xmas/Birthday present. She, unfortunately, took the call from the courier and wondered 'just what' was arriving from America. As soon as she found out, Xmas and birthday was advanced by + 7 weeks.

I'll leave her to comment, but that maybe in around 2015 - I've not spoken to her since it arrived around 3 weeks ago!  whistle:

How was it that you paid £149 Snoops? SS's cost me $89 + shipping + bastard import tax + VAT (which I'll fiddle back through the company). Allowing for the poor exchange rate and taking the VAT-hit if need be, I reckon it cost around £125

I had to get the USA version - apparently the UK version is 'blocked' if you dowload more than 5 books in another country.

How does it spell colour?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

DDD

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
How does it spell colour?

Aha! It depends on which dickshonry you wish to use. It came pre-loaded with Oxford-English Full Monty and the option of the USofArse slang/ghetto version. The SS's mother was mighty pissed-off when she realised that her daughter had a better reference-source.

She's a hag, like...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »
How does it spell colour?

Aha! It depends on which dickshonry you wish to use. It came pre-loaded with Oxford-English Full Monty and the option of the USofArse slang/ghetto version. The SS's mother was mighty pissed-off when she realised that her daughter had a better reference-source.

She's a hag, like...

lol: lol: lol:

So, how much did they stick you for bastard-import-tax at the make-it-up-as-we-go-along post office?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »

There are 2 versions available in the UK one @£109 and the other @ £149. The cheaper one will only upload via your PC. The dearer one will upload anywhere like.
So I went for the dearer one 'cos I can use it to get a new book if I am away from the pooter (EG In Hospital, on a Train or anywhere else) It is the 3G version.

£149
Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, 6" Display - with New E Ink (Pearl) Technology

£109
Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display - with New E Ink (Pearl) Technology

Apart from that the answer is perhaps it is still a case of Rip-Off UK at work.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:02:22 PM by Snoopy »