Author Topic: Tax feck up  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Tax feck up
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:42:20 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/7981144/PAYE-tax-errors-force-1.5-million-people-to-repay-1400.html

1.5 million workers face demands to pay back an average of £1,400 in tax after an error was found in calculations over the past two years.

In total almost six million people have been affected by the fiasco, with 4.3 million people receiving a rebate because of overpayments.

The errors were discovered after a trawl by the Treasury of the way HM Revenue and Customs was calculating pay as you earn (PAYE) tax.

It is likely to lead to an overhaul of the entire system.

Between now and Christmas 1.4 million taxpayers will receive letters telling them that they owe money. The total amount owed is £2 billion which means on average those people face a demand for £1,428 each. Some individuals could face higher bills.

However, for some the mistake will lead to them receiving a rebate.

The total amount that was overpaid by taxpayers was £1.8 billion, meaning an average rebate of just over £400. Those who are owed money will receive a cheque, the HMRC said. In an attempt to soften the blow to the 1.4 million who have to pay money back, the amount will be taken via future PAYE payments, rather than a single demand.

Tax codes for next year will be altered to ensure the money is recouped over a period of time, probably a year.

It means many people could be at least £100 a month worse off at a time when household budgets are set to feel a considerable squeeze.

Oops - they have made a f**k up and it will only affect over a million people but it is alright as they are going to overhaul the system  Banghead Banghead Banghead

Has to be one of the only places left where if they make a mistake the customer is liable  evil:
Skubber

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: Tax feck up
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:00:21 AM »
Somebody's head should roll for this, but it won't. And sods law says that I'll have underpaid  cussing:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:03:05 AM »
That's the worry though eh...we'll all be waiting for a letter to say next year you'll have to pay back another £100 a month  scared2:.

If that is the case and you say you can't afford to do that is there any room for negotiation do you think? Like I will pay you an additional fiver a month for the next 280 months kind of thing  rubschin:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
That's the worry though eh...we'll all be waiting for a letter to say next year you'll have to pay back another £100 a month  scared2:.

If that is the case and you say you can't afford to do that is there any room for negotiation do you think? Like I will pay you an additional fiver a month for the next 280 months kind of thing  rubschin:

I'm sure they will be most understanding...

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:06:02 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
You great gubboon  point: point:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:58:30 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
That's the worry though eh...we'll all be waiting for a letter to say next year you'll have to pay back another £100 a month  scared2:.

If that is the case and you say you can't afford to do that is there any room for negotiation do you think? Like I will pay you an additional fiver a month for the next 280 months kind of thing  rubschin:

I'm sure they will be most understanding...

That's what!  evil:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
PICNIC  point: point: point:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
"The government accepts that the way we go about deducting tax at source needs to be much more accurate and the introduction of the NPS [computer system] paves the way for a real time system which in turn boosts accuracy."

In June, the government ordered a review of how the PAYE system works and is encouraging the public to contribute their thoughts about how it could be improved.

cussing: cussing: cussing:
Skubber

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Considering I'm not paying any tax at present, I've been sent several different tax codes, all wrong.
Now sorted.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »
Having been taxed at a rate of between 30% and 40% (it varies year on year) on my pension for the last 8 years and having on one occasion managed to convince them that they were wrong and obtain a rebate only to have my code "adjusted" to recover the rebate over the subsequent two years I look forward to getting a lot of money back ~ but I am not holding my breath.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 05:45:47 PM »
Since it's all P.A.Y.E. I'll get sweet FA but hopefully none to pay back either.

Did you read our council's latest fiasco MissD?  They forgot to pay the leccy bill .... for 6 years!  eeek: eeek: eeek:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
I read that and was remarkably unsurprised  noooo:

To those that haven't a clue what we are on about ...

Lambeth failed to seek payment from tenants through their rents for thousands of unmetered street lights on its council estates since 2003, leaving it with an estimated bill of £658,000.

It is now trying to renegotiate the amount it has to pay EDF Energy — the company supplying the power — which is thought to be willing to write off as much as four years of unpaid bills in an effort to recoup some of the money.

The blunder means the council now has to raise funds for a one-off payment of about £280,000, which must be paid by the end of this financial year.

Council documents show that the blunder relates to an estimated 2,240 unmetered street lights, with the cost of energy per column believed to be about £42 a year.

The authority said: “EDF are entitled to payment for the energy consumed for the last seven years. However, they have confirmed they only intend to seek reimbursement for energy consumed since April 1, 2008.”
Skubber

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
Do these f*ckers do it to wind us up? Nothing to apologise for, you've gotta be kidding
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
The man is a complete c*nt
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile