Disgusterous

Author Topic: I'm going out to join a gym  (Read 8192 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: I'm going out to join a gym
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
I know you dont like me adding to your threads but:

Body Mass Index

Your BMI result is: 29.60
You are in the overweight range.

Overview
Losing some weight will benefit your health and it is especially important that you don't gain any more. Being overweight is linked with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and other types of illness.

If you are not physically active, regular exercise may help you lose weight and keep it off. It must be an activity you enjoy and can sustain for life. It is important to combine this with eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, choose lower fat foods and watch your portion sizes. Cut right back on foods and drinks containing a lot of sugar and/or fat. Try not to be tempted by losing weight fast; body fat can only be lost slowly (aim for about 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week).

Although BMI gives us some idea of the health risk associated with being a certain weight for your height, it's just an approximate means of assessing body fat and risk to health. It doesnt allow for weight from muscle - for example if you're an athlete or very muscular you will have a high BMI even if you have a healthy level of body fat. It's also not accurate for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, the very young or very old, the extremes of the normal range of shape, nor does it allow for medical conditions which affect height or shape.

I was told at rehab and afterwards that BMI was being dropped as being far too inaccurate. My BMI was 27 which I thought was high but was told to ignore it as my weight and height ratio were fine.
The waist/hips comparison is now being used and produces vastly different results.

Again as fat weighs less than muscle exercise will make your BMI look worse!

Try and join somewhere where the trainers/staff listen to what you are saying and what your target(s) are, and set up a suitable program - you will probably start off doing a lot less than you think you are capable of - they want to train you in the system first.

The lad at the 2nd one was very impressive in his detailed explanations as to what goes on, and how they gradually build you up.
Shame it was seemingly so expensive.

Dunno. Get what you pay for I suppose.
I'll do as I said earlier, and check a few of the BIGGER suspects out first.

Too much choice can be a right ole headache. ::)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »

Body Mass Index

Overview
Losing some weight will benefit your health and it is especially important that you don't gain any more. Being overweight is linked with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and other types of illness.

If you are not physically active, regular exercise may help you lose weight and keep it off. It must be an activity you enjoy and can sustain for life. It is important to combine this with eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, choose lower fat foods and watch your portion sizes. Cut right back on foods and drinks containing a lot of sugar and/or fat. Try not to be tempted by losing weight fast; body fat can only be lost slowly (aim for about 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week).

Although BMI gives us some idea of the health risk associated with being a certain weight for your height, it's just an approximate means of assessing body fat and risk to health. It doesnt allow for weight from muscle - for example if you're an athlete or very muscular you will have a high BMI even if you have a healthy level of body fat. It's also not accurate for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, the very young or very old, the extremes of the normal range of shape, nor does it allow for medical conditions which affect height or shape.

I just checked my BMI with the web calculator thingy and it is 2.1

Seems a bit low.  rubschin:
I mostly despair

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
You are dead!

RTFM

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »

Body Mass Index

Overview

I just checked my BMI with the web calculator thingy and it is 2.1

Seems a bit low.  rubschin:

You've mixed up your old and new money prolly....  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

With so many exceptions it seems a totally meaningless measure. I think I'll stop worrying.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
Uncle ~ I gave up worrying about weight some time ago ~ when a stick-thin child like waif who announced herself as the hospital's "Senior Nutritionist" advised me not to eat more than one piece of fruit at a time. I asked "Do I look like the sort of Gibbon that would eat two bananas in stereo?"
She said "I am being serious .... with diabetes you have to be aware of the sugar content of fruit"
Me "And who eats a single strawberry?"
She "You aren't taking this seriously"
Me "Are you?"
She "What do you mean?"
Me "You started this conversation by telling me to only have two Weetabix for breakfast and to use a sugar substitute on them, I told you that I don't eat Weetabix or any other breakfast cereal because of their sugar and salt content, that I never add sugar to anything and I don't normally have milk. I went on to tell you that my breakfast might be a boiled, poached or scrambled egg with a slice of toasted home-made bread followed by an apple or a banana..... and that is when you started on about never eating more than one piece of fruit at a time"

We agreed to differ eveilgrin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »
Uncle ~ I gave up worrying about weight some time ago ~ when a stick-thin child like waif who announced herself as the hospital's "Senior Nutritionist" advised me not to eat more than one piece of fruit at a time. I asked "Do I look like the sort of Gibbon that would eat two bananas in stereo?"
She said "I am being serious .... with diabetes you have to be aware of the sugar content of fruit"
Me "And who eats a single strawberry?"
She "You aren't taking this seriously"
Me "Are you?"
She "What do you mean?"
Me "You started this conversation by telling me to only have two Weetabix for breakfast and to use a sugar substitute on them, I told you that I don't eat Weetabix or any other breakfast cereal because of their sugar and salt content, that I never add sugar to anything and I don't normally have milk. I went on to tell you that my breakfast might be a boiled, poached or scrambled egg with a slice of toasted home-made bread followed by an apple or a banana..... and that is when you started on about never eating more than one piece of fruit at a time"

We agreed to differ eveilgrin:

lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »

Private gyms locally are just that - a gym - leisure centre has pool, squash/badmington courts etc.
Also a cafe/bar for those (Miss D?) that succumb after a session.

Mine has nice pool ...but it is one of the Black label clubs  Shrugs: ...meaning it has more facilities than others I think. You have a lounge area with free drinks ( non alcholic - more is the pity) , papers etc.

No cakes tho  sad24:
Skubber

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 03:12:59 PM »
Mrs Tel found that there was some weight loss, but it was mainly a change in her figure that she noticed, ie toned up.
Clothes fit differently etc.

RTFM

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
one of the Black label clubs 

I went to one of those once, a lot of Teachers there as well I think.

A bit rough but I made the best of it.
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
Mrs Tel found that there was some weight loss, but it was mainly a change in her figure that she noticed, ie toned up.

I have dropped 2 dress sizes which means I can go shopping for a whole new wardrobe  cloud9:...as in clothes not an actual new wardrobe  8)
Skubber

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »
one of the Black label clubs

I went to one of those once, a lot of Teachers there as well I think.

A bit rough but I made the best of it.

Your canonisation application is in the post  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:23:00 PM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »

I have dropped 2 dress sizes which means I can go shopping for a whole new wardrobe  cloud9:...as in clothes not an actual new wardrobe  8)

Mrs Tel has taken to nicking some of my jeans (unworn cos I don't like em) as she now can get into them.

Cue smutty remarks.......

RTFM

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »
I'm going top have to buy some new gym 'posh clobber'.  cussing:

My friend 'George' doesn't do gym 'posh clobber'. cussing:

I don't do 'posh clobber' shopping as a rule.

I am consequently going to be in a VERY bad mood when it happens. Explode:

I am going out to my 'outdoor gym' tonight to beat my previous best from last year. razz:
That puts me in a good mood. cloud9:
I shall be taking some fruit to celebrate up there in the dark.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »
I should get a move on then because dark clouds are gathering over thataways.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.