Disgusterous

Author Topic: I'm going out to join a gym  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: I'm going out to join a gym
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
Have a good scout round first  and consider an introductory period before you sign up for good. Most gyms will offer you a free day pass / session so you can road test the facilities before signing any contract .
Skubber

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »
I know you dont like me adding to your threads but:

Body Mass Index

Your BMI result is: 29.60
You are in the overweight range.

Overview
Losing some weight will benefit your health and it is especially important that you don't gain any more. Being overweight is linked with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and other types of illness.

If you are not physically active, regular exercise may help you lose weight and keep it off. It must be an activity you enjoy and can sustain for life. It is important to combine this with eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, choose lower fat foods and watch your portion sizes. Cut right back on foods and drinks containing a lot of sugar and/or fat. Try not to be tempted by losing weight fast; body fat can only be lost slowly (aim for about 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week).

Although BMI gives us some idea of the health risk associated with being a certain weight for your height, it's just an approximate means of assessing body fat and risk to health. It doesnt allow for weight from muscle - for example if you're an athlete or very muscular you will have a high BMI even if you have a healthy level of body fat. It's also not accurate for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, the very young or very old, the extremes of the normal range of shape, nor does it allow for medical conditions which affect height or shape.

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:55 PM »
Eat lettuce  cloud9:  Cycle   cloud9:  Don't eat bread or anything made with flour.   noooo:  Simples.   whistle:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
Eat lettuce  cloud9:  Cycle   cloud9:  Don't eat bread or anything made with flour.   noooo:  Simples.   whistle:

and drink plenty of collapso water

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
I was going to post this but decided not to in case you get 'prickly'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk

Oh... redface:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 06:52:49 AM »
£800  - £1000 a year  eeek:

In an area such as the one you live in Miss D the competition decides the price. In an area such as where I live or where Growler lives local gyms are few and far between and this is reflected in the prices they charge. One also has to balance facilities on offer with travel costs etc. Growler would find lower prices and more choice were he to wish to travel into Liverpool. My estimates on costs are, as subsequent posts confirm, not so far out but then they were based on local enquiries undertaken very recently.

It is also worthy of note that the last gym I belonged to ... 12 years ago, pre heart bypass, cost £750 pa per person for a group membership deal of 12 people from the office I worked out of in Holborn ..... again supply and demand. I now use NHS facilities and they are free ...... as they would be to anyone undergoing cardiac rehab but perhaps not everyone is that "lucky"
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 07:06:40 AM »

Eat lettuce?

Just don't eat anything is a most excellent alternative, and cheaper, or I could hop around the garden like a bunny, nibbling the grass p'raps, yes? ::)

I'm a bloke ffs wumman. I have to eat proper grub, not tarts fodder.

Cycle?
Yes. I do do a bit of that, but prefer walking tbh, and some of the places I like going, it's either not allowed or just too extreme.

Knock bread on the head?  noooo:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »
Spooky coincidence!  I went to check out the prices at Virgin Active in Clapham on Monday ... £93 per month!  eeek: eeek:

I'll stick to my own routine I think.
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »
Await the return of Mr Grumblepants  noooo:

Went to 'The Mollington' first.

Miserable unhelpful sour faced munter behind reception just grunted a obviously bored few words and said £50 pm, no contract, or £35 pm off peak.
Not impressed.

Craxton was much better. 2 extremely helpful and keen lads showed me around and discussed everything without hesitation.
£54 pm + £25 joining fee, 12 month contract, but you can freeze the contract and restart it whenever you like apparently.
Nice facilities, and full use of them all including special classes. Shrugs:

Got to get a quackters note of approval apparently, £££kaching£££. ::)

I need to check out a few more first i think.  rubschin:

happy088
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »
Craxton Wood have a new aquarium which had a whale in it! eeek:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
YOu fell in?  eeek:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:28 AM »
I mostly despair

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »
For what it's worth.

I (we) joined gym 4 years ago after heart attack.
Went to local (council) leisure centre and checked prices (main reason for this option was that they had someone there who was a member of the British cardiac rehab Team)
For 2 of us going 3 times a week it worked out that monthly membership was the best (no joining fee, advance fees etc)
For 1 person it would have been better to have taken the PAYG option - this however does mean queuing for entrance.

Membership gives access to all facilities in all 4 centres in the borough.
Private gyms locally are just that - a gym - leisure centre has pool, squash/badmington courts etc.
Also a cafe/bar for those (Miss D?) that succumb after a session.

RTFM

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
The two private ones I visited last night both had pools, and very nice they looked too.

Couldn't believe just how disinterested and bored the girl was at the first one, so that actually put me right off. eeek:
Bit dingey (sp) in there anyway. Looks like they needed some proper bulbs tbh. ;)

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »
I know you dont like me adding to your threads but:

Body Mass Index

Your BMI result is: 29.60
You are in the overweight range.

Overview
Losing some weight will benefit your health and it is especially important that you don't gain any more. Being overweight is linked with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and other types of illness.

If you are not physically active, regular exercise may help you lose weight and keep it off. It must be an activity you enjoy and can sustain for life. It is important to combine this with eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, choose lower fat foods and watch your portion sizes. Cut right back on foods and drinks containing a lot of sugar and/or fat. Try not to be tempted by losing weight fast; body fat can only be lost slowly (aim for about 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week).

Although BMI gives us some idea of the health risk associated with being a certain weight for your height, it's just an approximate means of assessing body fat and risk to health. It doesnt allow for weight from muscle - for example if you're an athlete or very muscular you will have a high BMI even if you have a healthy level of body fat. It's also not accurate for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, the very young or very old, the extremes of the normal range of shape, nor does it allow for medical conditions which affect height or shape.

I was told at rehab and afterwards that BMI was being dropped as being far too inaccurate. My BMI was 27 which I thought was high but was told to ignore it as my weight and height ratio were fine.
The waist/hips comparison is now being used and produces vastly different results.

Again as fat weighs less than muscle exercise will make your BMI look worse!

Try and join somewhere where the trainers/staff listen to what you are saying and what your target(s) are, and set up a suitable program - you will probably start off doing a lot less than you think you are capable of - they want to train you in the system first.

RTFM