Author Topic: Unions support joint industrial action over cuts  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Unions support joint industrial action over cuts
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
Quote from: BBC Web Shite
Union delegates have backed joint industrial action if "attacks" on jobs, pensions and public services go ahead.

The TUC's annual gathering backed a motion which included calls to build "a broad solidarity alliance of unions and communities under threat".

TUC chief Brendan Barber warned that big cuts would make Britain a "dark, brutish and more frightening place".

Source

Much as I loathe the unions I can't help but feel a little sympathy with them on this matter...  redface:

We all know how bloated the public services are and I've no doubt that you really could cut 25% off the entire budget without the average man in the street ever knowing that they'd gone...

BUT I strongly suspect that it won't be £90K per year Diversity Officers, Five-a-Day Coordinators, Hospital Managers, Smoking Snoopers and Bin Checkers that get the chop. The axe is more likely to fall on those that DO actually provide front line services...

The unions would have much greater public support if they acknowledged that fact instead of pledging to fight every single job cut...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Unions support joint industrial action over cuts
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »
I see the Police Force Service are now wading in to protect themselves with scare stories about how they will be needed to control the unrest that the cutbacks are "bound" to create. Talk about self serving arguments ~ have they forgotten we have a perfectly good army, only a quarter of which is in Afghanistan at any one time? There are some 22,000 troops serving in Germany alone we can call in if needed and they have far greater fire-power than the police  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
OH's problem is that he shouts a lot but never supplies any answers. It is easy to say "You are wrong" but when you say it you need to have something to put in its place. tunble:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03:30 AM »
http://www.oldholborn.net/2010/09/welcome-to-priory-rehab-centre.html
 whistle:

Excellent!

Dianne Abbott takes the freaking biscuit doesn't she? The biggest bastard racist of them all!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
OH's problem is that he shouts a lot but never supplies any answers. It is easy to say "You are wrong" but when you say it you need to have something to put in its place. tunble:

Put in place of what? All the useless jobsworths that our taxes pay for?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
And the last time you paid UK taxes was when BM  whistle:

I am one of those jobsworths to which you are referring  rubschin:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:21:43 AM »
And the last time you paid UK taxes was when BM  whistle:

I am one of those jobsworths to which you are referring  rubschin:

lol: lol: lol:

I obviously don't pay taxes any more!  ::)

But when I ran my business there the VAT, NI and CT payments for a company with 45 employees were eye watering... where has it all gone eh, EH?

And in all seriousness it appears from what you have posted that your role in the council is quite worthwhile... Hopefully it will be five-a-day diversity coordinators and tobacco ban enforcement officers (that serve no useful purpose whatsoever) that they get rid of...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
Serious hat on ...we are currently looking at proposals for 25 and 40 % cuts across the board ( starting the redundancy process all over agian from Jan 11)

If any service has a chance of survival it will either have to prove that it has to be statutarily provided ( and no one else can provide this) or will have to show it can generate income.

Time to start the bun fight  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »
I see the Police Force Service are now wading in to protect themselves with scare stories about how they will be needed to control the unrest that the cutbacks are "bound" to create. Talk about self serving arguments ~ have they forgotten we have a perfectly good army, only a quarter of which is in Afghanistan at any one time? There are some 22,000 troops serving in Germany alone we can call in if needed and they have far greater fire-power than the police  whistle:

I'd also trust them more with firearms than the doughnut munching cretins.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
Serious hat on ...we are currently looking at proposals for 25 and 40 % cuts across the board ( starting the redundancy process all over agian from Jan 11)

If any service has a chance of survival it will either have to prove that it has to be statutarily provided ( and no one else can provide this) or will have to show it can generate income.

Time to start the bun fight  noooo:

And I suppose smoking cessation officers are a statuary requirement? doh:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
I'm going for an interview/competency test for a civil service post in a couple of days but looking at the propective cutbacks across the board I have to wonder if I'm just wasting my time.  noooo:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »

Put in place of what? All the useless jobsworths that our taxes pay for?

Exactly ....... My point is that there is no point in shouting Brown OUT! unless you have someone better to put in his place...... The Millipedes? Balls? Abbott? and some other bugger that nobody has ever heard of are the current choices. I don't see that they are any better than Brown or Blair.
Taxes are unavoidable and we all know why. A fair distribution of the cash raised is what we want to see. Diversity is fine ~ very commendable in fact ~ IF WE CAN AFFORD IT but we can't so such people have to go.