Author Topic: Russia warns UK over expulsions  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Russia warns UK over expulsions
« on: July 17, 2007, 06:52:50 AM »
Old Gordon Brown hasn?t wasted much time in creating a major international incident with one of the most powerful and dangerous nations on earth has he? What a complete arsehole.  cussing:

Quote from: BBC Web Site
The Kremlin has warned Britain it faces "serious consequences" after expelling four Russian diplomats from the UK.
The move followed Moscow's refusal to hand over the former KGB agent accused of murdering Alexander Litvinenko in London last year.

Source

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this case ? and I?m certainly not condoning murder ? is now really the time to provoke a major international incident? Is this case the most important thing that faces Brown and his new government team?

Next completely predictable step is UK diplomats thrown out of Russia and then months or years of difficult diplomatic relationships between the two countries until it all quietly disappears under the carpet.

Meanwhile our troops are engaged in two extremely difficult military campaigns which quite frankly need the help and attention of all of our allies ? including Russia.

Brown has in my opinion been sucked into this and proved himself to be a complete amateur on the world stage. Tony must be pissing himself?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:16:47 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Russia warns UK over expulsions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »
I rather like Rifkind's idea of calling the Russian's bluff and saying "OK ~ we'll let the trial happen in Russia as you suggest BUT as we did with the Lockerbie trial it will have to be British Rules, British Judge and Jury etc.
Now that's an experienced, if ex-foreign, secretary speaking. This Millband is a boy and really does need to take some advice from his elders and betters.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:17:27 AM »
That?s the problem ? I suspect the phrase ?elders and betters? is an anathema to them all? Look out for years of diplomatic strife.  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:47 AM »
Why change the habbits of a lifetime. When was the last time we actually had a PM that did his job instead of running off where ever it may be America was. When was the last time a PM actually led his party instead of just issuing proclomations to quagmires and taking their decision? It seems to me that this latest ridiculous piece of foreign policy is just as it always before.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »
Why change the habbits of a lifetime. When was the last time we actually had a PM that did his job instead of running off where ever it may be America was. When was the last time a PM actually led his party instead of just issuing proclomations to quagmires and taking their decision? It seems to me that this latest ridiculous piece of foreign policy is just as it always before.
Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:56:55 AM »

Sorry but no... think Roosevelt and Reagan

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:01:48 AM »
Chamberlain.
"I have a letter..."
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:04:34 AM »

William Pitt the Younger (Though he did ask the Russians and the Austrians to sell us some soldiers at one point).

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:08:27 AM »

Pretty much. I know that we are supposedly voting for a party and not a figure head but really and truly who does that? If that is so then get rid of the PM altogether and actually say you are running the country by commitee instead of just doing it under the table.

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »
Old Gordon Brown hasn?t wasted much time in creating a major international incident with one of the most powerful and dangerous nations on earth has he? What a complete arsehole.  cussing:

The Kremlin has warned Britain it faces "serious consequences" after expelling four Russian diplomats from the UK.
The move followed Moscow's refusal to hand over the former KGB agent accused of murdering Alexander Litvinenko in London last year.

Source

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this case ? and I?m certainly not condoning murder ? is now really the time to provoke a major international incident? Is this case the most important thing that faces Brown and his new government team?

Next completely predictable step is UK diplomats thrown out of Russia and then months or years of difficult diplomatic relationships between the two countries until it all quietly disappears under the carpet.

Meanwhile our troops are engaged in two extremely difficult military campaigns which quite frankly need the help and attention of all of our allies ? including Russia.

Brown has in my opinion been sucked into this and probed himself to be a complete amateur on the world stage. Tony must be pissing himself?

Bloody hellfire! Is he into that sort of thing too? Appropriate name then.

Quote from: Bar Wench

Are they something like Hobbits then? Just curious.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »

Source

Brown has in my opinion been sucked into this and probed himself to be a complete amateur on the world stage. Tony must be pissing himself?

::)

Did we float out of the pedantic side of the crypt this morning then?

What thinks the after world of this Russian situation?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:26:32 AM »

Source

::)

Did we float out of the pedantic side of the crypt this morning then?

What thinks the after world of this Russian situation?

I'm not only feeling pedantic, but I'm also feeling more than a little punctilious today - especially when the 'errors' lend themselves to such humourous interpretation.

On the Russian front, I think Broon is far too thoughtless in having a pop at RasPutin. That is one bear who doesn't take kindly to people taking pot shots at him and his country. We all thought the Russian bear was gone - more like just having a quiet kip, happy to stay that way as long as it is left alone. Then along come Bush/Blair/Broon who give it a collective poke, and bingo! He wakes up, and they act all surprised?

Pillocks all of them - and the sooner they are on the dark side here the better - not that I really wish to share my 'other side' with the likes of that lot, but, it would get them out of your hair! That has to be worth something?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline D P Dance

• Welcomed Stranger
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »
Kicking out four of their spies is hardly a major international incident, it is but one small step in a complicated ballet routine.   They have called our bluff by PNGing four of our people in return, and there, I suspect, the matter will rest.   We are hardly likely to let them have back some of their agents whom we have turned, so why should they let us have back one of their assassins.

A member of the Berkshire Hunt

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »
I have to say it all seems horribly familiar.
Now where is when we need him?

Misunderstood

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
My personal opinion is that the US and us (cute eh?) want the cold war back as too many people are asking awkward questions about where all of our money is going.

The cold war was a magnificent black hole for the cash where every query was met with a bland National Security project so asking makes you look like a spy.