Disgusterous

Author Topic: where did Kim's thread go ?  (Read 11092 times)

Offline D P Dance

• Welcomed Stranger
Re: where did Kim's thread go ?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 10:56:19 AM »
If you would care to re-read my post, you will see that I requested private enlightenment, which, in in the case of Kim and I is usually conducted by email, not private emssaging, which seems on some boards to be turned on and off at the whim of whatever moderator has his/her finger on the button at the time.   Please allow me to determine by which means I may  communicate with someone whom I have known for almost seven years.

It is not my intention to re-open old wounds, and nothing contained in my post could lead a reasonable person to think otherwise.
A member of the Berkshire Hunt

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2007, 11:03:30 AM »
Well send her an e mail then!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
If you would care to re-read my post, you will see that I requested private enlightenment, which, in in the case of Kim and I is usually conducted by email, not private emssaging, which seems on some boards to be turned on and off at the whim of whatever moderator has his/her finger on the button at the time.   Please allow me to determine by which means I may  communicate with someone whom I have known for almost seven years.

It is not my intention to re-open old wounds, and nothing contained in my post could lead a reasonable person to think otherwise.

Then PM her with your private request. How hard is that? If indeed you have be corresponding for almost seven years you presumably have an email address for her as well. I cannot see why you need to broadcast your request for a "private" conversation on a public forum. I'm sorry but in my opinion your public attempt at a "private" request is likely to cause some, less trusting that me, to suspect your motives. All I ask is that you keep private those things you say are private.
Now as you are new here allow me to direct you to the right button to send a PM. Beneath anyone's post count, on the left of the board as you view it, you will see a row of symbols that allow you to view that person's profile, another for their email address (if they have chosen to display it) and another that allows the sending of a PM (if the person has given their consent to receiving PMs.)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline D P Dance

• Welcomed Stranger
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
OK, I take your point, but I have to say that that I find your homily on sending messages somewhat  patronising.   I may be new here, but I have been contributing to boards such as this for over ten years.

Remember the old saw about lion-tamers and lions!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:30:03 AM by D P Dance »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »
Thank you for that rather patronising lesson in sending private meesages.

Might I suggest that, before embarking on a career as a lion tamer, you first acquaint yourself with the bahaviour of lions.

A less charitable person than I might suggest that before embarking on a career as an internet forum user you learn to type and to check your deathless prose for typos and spelling errors before pressing the "Post" button.

Berek

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
all we need now is Elvis to join and the Chuckle Brothers are complete, contents of private e-mails and pms will then be exchanged freely

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »
all we need now is Elvis to join and the Chuckle Brothers are complete, contents of private e-mails and pms will then be exchanged freely

drumroll:

Offline D P Dance

• Welcomed Stranger
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
Quote from: Snoopy link=topic=881. msg14497#msg14497 date=1185103872
A less charitable person than I might suggest that before embarking on a career as an internet forum user you learn to type and to check your deathless prose for typos and spelling errors before pressing the "Post" button.

Ah the spelling police strike again, that last recourse of the intellectually bereft.

For the benefit of those who have not read it elsewhere, let me retell this story about the inevitability of typos.

Typos are almost impossible to eliminate.  About fifteen years ago I was a Treaty Officer in the Foreign Office in London.   They are the people who stand to the left or right of the VIP signing the Treaty.  Everyone must have seen them on TV at some time, but what they may not realise is that the Treaty Officer is also responsible for the production, presentation, and often the drafting, of the Treaty.

I was responsible for a Treaty Signing Ceremony in No 10 during the visit of the President of India, and there were five or six Treaties to be signed.  Now these treaties are checked, re-checked, and re-re checked by five or six people on either side before they are printed on the gold-edged vellum, (which cost about ?3. 00 per sheet) and ribboned and sealed and bound into Red Morocco Leather folders.  In theory therefore they should be one hundred percent error free.

We were half way through the ceremony and I glanced at the next treaty to be signed and there was this typo.  The only thing I could do was to amend it in longhand, using the special ?Treaty Pen?, (you do not want to know how much these cost), go to Douglas Hurd and the Indian Foreign Minister, explain to them what had happened, and get them both to initial both copies of the Treaty.

Thankfully this was the only time it happened to me, but it goes to show that even in the best controlled circumstances, typos can creep in.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

Ah the spelling police strike again, that last recourse of the intellectually bereft.

For the benefit of those who have not read it elsewhere, let me retell this story about the inevitability of typos.

Typos are almost impossible to eliminate.  About fifteen years ago I was a Treaty Officer in the Foreign Office in London.   They are the people who stand to the left or right of the VIP signing the Treaty.  Everyone must have seen them on TV at some time, but what they may not realise is that the Treaty Officer is also responsible for the production, presentation, and often the drafting, of the Treaty.

I was responsible for a Treaty Signing Ceremony in No 10 during the visit of the President of India, and there were five or six Treaties to be signed.  Now these treaties are checked, re-checked, and re-re checked by five or six people on either side before they are printed on the gold-edged vellum, (which cost about £3. 00 per sheet) and ribboned and sealed and bound into Red Morocco Leather folders.  In theory therefore they should be one hundred percent error free.

We were half way through the ceremony and I glanced at the next treaty to be signed and there was this typo.  The only thing I could do was to amend it in longhand, using the special “Treaty Pen”, (you do not want to know how much these cost), go to Douglas Hurd and the Indian Foreign Minister, explain to them what had happened, and get them both to initial both copies of the Treaty.

Thankfully this was the only time it happened to me, but it goes to show that even in the best controlled circumstances, typos can creep in.

Fortunately this eventuality has now been made obsolete by the spell checker. Anything underlined in red needs to be checked. If your view of this board does not have this facility you need to change your PC's settings. Easy really and no more embarrassing mistakes for the pedants to leap upon. It will also obviate the need for boring stories used in an all too obvious attempt to avoid saying "Whoops I made a mistake".
Oh it makes me so happy to be helpful.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »

I was responsible for a Treaty Signing Ceremony in No 10 during the visit of the President of India, and there were five or six Treaties to be signed.  Now these treaties are checked, re-checked, and re-re checked by five or six people on either side before they are printed on the gold-edged vellum, (which cost about ?3. 00 per sheet) and ribboned and sealed and bound into Red Morocco Leather folders.  In theory therefore they should be one hundred percent error free.

We were half way through the ceremony and I glanced at the next treaty to be signed and there was this typo.  The only thing I could do was to amend it in longhand, using the special ?Treaty Pen?, (you do not want to know how much these cost), go to Douglas Hurd and the Indian Foreign Minister, explain to them what had happened, and get them both to initial both copies of the Treaty.

I am utterly convinced that this character is just that. An invented Pootersque pastiche of suburban man. All the evidence is there. It is inconceivable that such a person exists, therefore he must be invented. But who by? DO I care? No, but this is a wind up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 01:18:33 PM by Nick »
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Misunderstood

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
Ahhh! The birds are coming home to roost.

I remember that story from long ago in another place and hope there will be no copyright issues arising from it.

We don't have any spelling (or grammar) police here and we don't want any either. but we are on guard concerning posters that arrive with suspicious oblique comments with intent to cause problems in our new happy home.

Behave yourself and debate away to your hearts content, (I for one will welcome that) But we will not tolerate personal feuds carried forward from anywhere at all.

This is a new place and with just one exception have all become friends.  We are a quiet knitting circle and will not tolerate any abuse swapping.  Take your differences elsewhere or take yourself elsewhere.

That said, welcome to our world.

Offline D P Dance

• Welcomed Stranger
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
I remember that story from long ago in another place and hope there will be no copyright issues arising from it.

I have previously posted it on UKPOL, COSG, GOM, Rip Off, GC, and perhaps elsewhere, I wrote it, and I own the copywright.  It is, to my mind ,a classic, (and true, the Treaty is a matter of public record, and available for inspection at the Foreign Office, complete with my hand written amendment), example of how difficult is is to eliminate typos.

We don't have any spelling (or grammar) police here and we don't want any either.

Are you sure about that, snoopy could be showing tendancies ...

Berek

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »
In all my years I dont think iv'e ever encountered a bigger cock waver  whistle:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2007, 02:37:19 PM »
So many sites to post on, so many people to annoy. I just don't know where he finds the time.
Perhaps Nick is right and he is a figment of someones imagination.
There could be a whole army of them out there.  rubschin:

Misunderstood

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »

I have previously posted it on UKPOL, COSG, GOM, Rip Off, GC, and perhaps elsewhere, I wrote it, and I own the 'copywright'.  ...

... Are you sure about that, snoopy could be showing 'tendancies' ... [/i]

Well!   Now that you mention it, other boards including some that you mention, have assumed ownership of some other posts copyrights and attempted to prohibit the posting of such material on other sites and/or demanded apologies.

We all know better here and are well aware that the copyright lies with the original author, but that raises the - rather delicate - question that wonders, whether you really are who you say you are?

No doubt you will establish your credentials in time but for now, it pays to be cautious...  Identity theft is a common issue these days.

I really don't care about minor mistakes or typos as long as they don't alter the meaning of what is being said. unless it makes them so humourus that I am unable to resist.

As for Snoopy, he is a pedigree and highly strung, if you ruffle his fur he has a tendency to bite.

Can't be helped, I'm afraid.

I suppose my 'hello' will have to suffice for both of us .. eh?          confused: