Author Topic: No Way to Win an Argument  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
No Way to Win an Argument
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:02:21 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11966645

"Student" Rioters attacked a Royal Car last evening as part of their protests about tuition fees that those currently at University will not have to pay anyway.
Brainless Idiots!

Whether you want a Royal Family or would prefer a Republic (With the distinct possibility of ending up with "President Blair" in place of The Queen) surely there can be no sense in attacking a harmless old duffer and his wife who are simply travelling to a Variety Show in support of Charity .... a variety show which would have been punishment enough for anyone having to sit through anyway. Prince Charles can have no effect on the Government's intentions.

Any and all students who can be identified as having been at these so called "Protests"should be banned from attending university and their places given to those willing to behave responsibly.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: No Way to Win an Argument
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
Great publicity for them though some would argue.

What I find absolutely staggering is that they drove right into the path of the protestors. What kind of protection squad do you have that would have chosen that option ?  eeek: They can hardly say they didn't know they were there  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »
Lack of foresight by the Met Police Officers responsible does not excuse the attack.  evil:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »
I suspect the incident will further undermine the case of the 'students ' who are causing this mayhem. As will genuine students saying they protest but not like the wild anarchists who get all the publicity.

Why does nobody on the public eye stand up and say that the taxpayer should 100% fund degrees in Medicine, Chemistry, Engineering etc, and students should pay 100% of the fees for crap like Philosophy, Parapsychology or Beckham studies.
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »
Quite so Darwin, I've been saying that for a long time now. How many 'courses' have been created to shift people from the unemployed queues over the years.

While the actions of the rioters was deplorable I have to wonder just how many of them were genuine students and how many of them were 'rent a mob' just out for an orgy of violence and destruction.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
Strangely enough when I saw the picture of him in the news last night I knew the bugger looked familiar. But how in the hell could you NOT know that was the cenotaph.  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »
If only the location was different I could say it was just another prick in the Mall   whistle:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
No way to win an argument may be but I am heartened by someone in this country actually standing up and saying what they believe in.  My only sorrow is will these same people turn out to vote when they are a few years down the road.  Its because generally there is apathy at election time that we end up with the dross that is the Government, no matter what party you support. .... here endeth the lesson for today.   evil:

Truly yours,
An inhabitant of the World... mine that is, with no allegiance to any nation.
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
True Tipsy but the main reason there is voter apathy during elections is that there is no choice anymore. For all their posturing there is no difference between the Tories and Labour and on their own the Lib Dems were never a serious contender even before the uproar about student fees. Plus no matter which party gets into power, the important cabinet positions are given to political cronies and not to people who have relevant qualifications and experience. While the PM is (in theory) elcted, we don't vote for the cabinet so actually having members of the public apply for those posts would at the very least give us the chance to have people who have a clue about their respective portfolios.

The sad truth is that the chances of the current status quo changing are remote in the extreme. The politicians are too comfortable in their ivory towers and don't want anything coming along that may threaten their existence. Look at the expenses scandal, now they are no longer allowed to claim for second homes they have figured out a nice little loophole that lets them claim for third homes instead. You could probably count the number of MP's who genuinely wanted to serve their country on one hand, the rest are just a total waste of space who are simply out for what they can get.

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
My point exactly, we need increased participation from a wider spectrum of the nation but due to apathy we get this narrow selection of Political Science students out to fulfull their CV by infiltrating local government until they achieve their London goal.  At which point they forget the regional path to the golden goose.  I have to say that I think the rot set in when councillors  began to be paid for the role instead of just claiming expenses. 
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »
My point exactly, we need increased participation from a wider spectrum of the nation but due to apathy we get this narrow selection of Political Science students out to fulfull their CV by infiltrating local government until they achieve their London goal.  At which point they forget the regional path to the golden goose.  I have to say that I think the rot set in when councillors  began to be paid for the role instead of just claiming expenses. 

Is the gayer using your PC...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:06:32 PM »

No but as soon as I was old enough to stuff leaflets in envelopes I was sent as slave labour to the local committee room and a General Election was seen as more exciting than Christmas at home.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »

No but as soon as I was old enough to stuff leaflets in envelopes I was sent as slave labour to the local committee room and a General Election was seen as more exciting than Christmas at home.

What was Gladstone like...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »

What was Gladstone like...?  rubschin:

A bloke with a manbag.   ;D