Disgusterous

Author Topic: Broadband decision  (Read 13389 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Broadband decision
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »
You won't be in about two years when the roll out of superfast broadband reaches this part of Wales and our local exchange goes fibre  eveilgrin:

Akchoowly [touches wood] I'm pretty pleased with mine at the moment and we're promised a free upgrade to 4M in the new year... The only thing I really have to wait for is the pub backup and that only takes a few minutes now...  cloud9:

Everything else id very schmoothe since I signed-up for the TV-on-the-Intermong option....

Bit of a change since I got here just over eight years ago and was shocked to find that dial-up was my only option!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
Meanwhile I have an update that Nick has just 'phoned me...... The Virgin man turned up, said to Nick "I've been 'ere before and it can't be done"
"Yes it fooking can" says Nick
"No it can't" says the Virgin man

"Follow me" commands Nick and slamming his flat door leads the man to the cellar and points to the cables etc.
"That's as may be" says VM "But it ain't connected and it won't friggin work..... We can make it work but not today, it'll be several weeks"
Nick explodes with rage and VM says "Don't give me a hard time mate, it's not my fault, phone my boss if you want but I'm telling yer it can't be done".... hops in his van and drives away.

Nick returns to his flat and finds that, in his rage, he slammed the door so hard he has bust the lock and now cannot get back in.

He has walked to a call box, located a "Yellow Pages" and contacted a locksmith who will be there in about an hour. Tried second locksmith who asked for Debit Card details before sending a man. Nick had to tell them his Debit Card is the other side of the locked door...... They don't want to know so back to first locksmith who will still take an hour. They suggest Nick should sit in his car and wait .... Car keys are also the wrong side of the locked door. Nick has no coat, temp is below freezing and he is sat on the wall, gazing at the snow, using his mobile to call me and tell the tale.
Locksmith charges £80 per hour or part thereof.

Nick gave permission for me to update you all "In case I don't survive this"

If he doesn't survive I can report his last words were "Why fooking me? Why does this always fooking happen to me?"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:38:00 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
 eeek:   Poor bugger!  I'd go knocking on doors  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 11:45:42 AM »
Those with svelte redheads behind them would be my choice.   razz:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
Meanwhile I have an update that Nick has just 'phoned me...... The Virgin man turned up, said to Nick "I've been 'ere before and it can't be done"
"Yes it fooking can" says Nick
"No it can't" says the Virgin man

"Follow me" commands Nick and slamming his flat door leads the man to the cellar and points to the cables etc.
"That's as may be" says VM "But it ain't connected and it won't friggin work..... We can make it work but not today, it'll be several weeks"
Nick explodes with rage and VM says "Don't give me a hard time mate, it's not my fault, phone my boss if you want but I'm telling yer it can't be done".... hops in his van and drives away.

Nick returns to his flat and finds that, in his rage, he slammed the door so hard he has bust the lock and now cannot get back in.

He has walked to a call box, located a "Yellow Pages" and contacted a locksmith who will be there in about an hour. Tried second locksmith who asked for Debit Card details before sending a man. Nick had to tell them his Debit Card is the other side of the locked door...... They don't want to know so back to first locksmith who will still take an hour. They suggest Nick should sit in his car and wait .... Car keys are also the wrong side of the locked door. Nick has no coat, temp is below freezing and he is sat on the wall, gazing at the snow, using his mobile to call me and tell the tale.
Locksmith charges £80 per hour or part thereof.

Nick gave permission for me to update you all "In case I don't survive this"

If he doesn't survive I can report his last words were "Why fooking me? Why does this always fooking happen to me?"

We should all be grateful to him really.

He slews the law of averages very much in our favour. . . .
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »
happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001

"In case I don't survive this"

happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
I have just got back in    Banghead  I have been outside for 2 hours flagging down builders' vans who all thought I was a loony. One guy finally stopped and lent me some pliars. I cannot now leave the flat. My insurance company do not want to know, despite the fooking "emergency cover"  cussing: cussing: cussing:

I am perished!  sad24: sad24: sad24: sad24:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »

Nick posts his speed check results! happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
You'll have to post your speed when they've finished like... before you break it...  whistle:

point:   Quite pleased with mine too.  whistle:

It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
You won't be in about two years when the roll out of superfast broadband reaches this part of Wales and our local exchange goes fibre  eveilgrin:

Ah but you guys are only getting fibre to cabinet, BT are rolling out a test of fibre to home around here next year, 100Mb+ per second here we come.  cloud9:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »
fuck fucking fucking virgin. I have called BT and they can come Jan 21st  cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »

Not bad considering the wires are almost on the ground.
I mostly despair

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
fuck fucking fucking virgin. I have called BT and they can come Jan 21st  cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing:

Possibly a stupid question but are you in a fibre area for BT? If not and your line is with them do you really need an engineer to come out and set it up for you?...

....what was I thinking.  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
 Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead Banghead cussing:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »
Being serious for a moment, If you are just getting the home hub and not BT infinity you don't need an engineer. All the cables are colour coded and the instructions are clear enough that anyone can put it together. Don't fork out for an engineer unless you have something complicated to sort out or you are an internet novice and need someone to take you through the basics.