Author Topic: Using the wrong tools  (Read 4983 times)

Misunderstood

Re: Using the wrong tools
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »
How to use your Watch as a Compass

To use your watch as a compass, one must think in terms of the ordinary clock face. That is, a round clock with numbers 1 through 12.

When you need a rough compass, simply point the hour hand (or the part of your watch where that hour would be if it wasn?t digital) at the sun.

Half way between that point and the 12:00 point on your watch points to the south. For example, if it is 8:00, point the 8 at the sun and south would be at the 10:00 position.

This will work, even if it is a cloudy day and you are not sure where the sun is. To find where the sun is, simply hold a pencil or stick upright over a light piece of paper or a lighter part of the ground or a light rock. Even on a cloudy day the stick or pencil will cast some kind of shadow.

As in using any compass, you'll need to keep rechecking which way is south. If you want to go east, simply go at a 90 degree angle to the right of south. North is opposite from south. West is 90 degrees to the left of south.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »
Or just buy a compass point:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Misunderstood

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »
Or just buy a compass point:

I think the tip is intended to be of help when you don't have a compass and are being chased by Mrs Nick and you don't get the chance to stop off for a spot of shopping.

::)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 07:53:09 PM »
Sorry, but I just had to...

In the northern hemisphere, hold the watch horizontal and point the hour hand in the direction of the sun. Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line. North will be the direction further from the sun.

I feel better now, marginally...  Is it wine o'clock yet? ;)

It always is ~ somewhere.

So I don't need to check the time then?  I'll not need the wristwatch then... unless I need it for compass bearings  whistle:

But hey, what if it's ...

dark  scared2:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 08:00:02 PM »
Then a compass would be no help as you would quickly lose your way. You would also need a torch, or you could tie your trousers to a stick and set fire to them in the manner of the Romans.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
Like the other night ey Nick?
You painting the kerb stones with the hedge shears, and me attacking the hedge with the paint brush.
The bloody state of the two of us after, you could almost believe it! eeek:

Offline Nick

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
Yes, and I see the paint has succumbed to the rain too. I told you it was emulsion!

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 08:23:38 PM »
Yes, and I see the paint has succumbed to the rain too. I told you it was emulsion!

EY! YOU WHAT! evil:

I'll be there again tomorrow to sort it. White gloss it is then. ::)
NOT happy. noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
Remind me, when we have several hours to spare and a pint in front of us, to tell you all about painting kerb stones. I have some experience  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »
How to use your Watch as a Compass

To use your watch as a compass, one must think in terms of the ordinary clock face. That is, a round clock with numbers 1 through 12.

When you need a rough compass, simply point the hour hand (or the part of your watch where that hour would be if it wasn?t digital) at the sun.

Half way between that point and the 12:00 point on your watch points to the south. For example, if it is 8:00, point the 8 at the sun and south would be at the 10:00 position.

This will work, even if it is a cloudy day and you are not sure where the sun is. To find where the sun is, simply hold a pencil or stick upright over a light piece of paper or a lighter part of the ground or a light rock. Even on a cloudy day the stick or pencil will cast some kind of shadow.

As in using any compass, you'll need to keep rechecking which way is south. If you want to go east, simply go at a 90 degree angle to the right of south. North is opposite from south. West is 90 degrees to the left of south.

Thing is, you?re buggered if your watch is wrong, or while navigating with compwatch you stumble across time zones or have just flown across multiple time zones to Canada or some such?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »
Remind me, when we have several hours to spare and a pint in front of us, to tell you all about painting kerb stones. I have some experience  whistle:
Well that sounds a fascinating insomnia cure ? was it in the forces?  sleep021
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
Well that sounds a fascinating insomnia cure ? was it in the forces?  sleep021

Yup.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.