Author Topic: Public Health  (Read 806 times)

Misunderstood

Public Health
« on: July 21, 2007, 08:54:45 PM »
Liam Donaldson is obviously bored.

Having won his battle against smokers of tobacco he finds himself at a loose end,

?Should I go and interfere with hospitals that are losing their battle of the bugs?? he muses  ?Or should I wade in to prop up the application of improved clinical procedures??

?Nah? They cost money!   Unfortunately the severely declining sales of tobacco means there is less revenue coming in and we are committed to supporting people that are quitting and that is costing a fortune?.  Um? What to do??

??.. I know let?s offset that expense with a rise in duty on alcohol and get the money flowing again?  I can be seen to be busy in convincing taxpayers that they should give up for the sake of the nation, and those that rebel will fund it all.    Job done.?

?A cigar and a double whiskey please, and then we?ll get cracking?.? 

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Public Health
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »

?Nah? They cost money!   Unfortunately the severely declining sales of tobacco means there is less revenue coming in and we are committed to supporting people that are quitting and that is costing a fortune?.  Um? What to do??

Is this true? The severely declining sales?
Haven't seen or heard about that tbh, but it doesn't suprise me.

How long before the dept of health 'suddenly' discover that following extensive tests, smoking ISN'T actually as bad for your health as was originally suspected? ::)

Misunderstood

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »

Is this true? The severely declining sales?
Haven't seen or heard about that tbh, but it doesn't suprise me.

How long before the dept of health 'suddenly' discover that following extensive tests, smoking ISN'T actually as bad for your health as was originally suspected? ::)

About ten to twenty years is my guess.  Around the same time that they are lamenting the loss of revenue from the alcohol which they will have banned by then.

They have been moaning about 'illegal' (in their view) imports damaging the livelihoods of poor innocent tobacconists and of course the long-suffering hospitals that rely on smokers paying their way, for years,  Of course what they meant was a depressed income for the treasury.   

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »
Liam Donaldson

Has the nerve to target fat people????

And this is another of his pronouncements
The chief medical officer is not just trying to set an example - he says the job is more stressful now than it was for his predecessors in the Victorian age who had to cope with cholera.

The man is clearly a prat. Pay him no heed.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/21/nliam121.xml
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.