Author Topic: They kept this quiet too ey?  (Read 5339 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
They kept this quiet too ey?
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »
Thought they'd been a bit quiet.
Just goes to show. Good news isn't news at all. ::)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/waterres/1014767/1131486/?lang=_e

Misunderstood

Re: They kept this quiet too ey?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »
I'm glad you bubbled them, I was beginning to worry that it might be the wrong sort of water.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:59:12 PM »
It makes you laugh doesn't it? ::)
It was only 7 months ago that South East Water, or whatever they're called, were moaning about under ground water levels being at their lowest for hundreds of years, river beds dried up for ever, Great crested newts fast disappearing because of dried up ponds etc.

All dramatic stuff, and that things will probably never recover. eeek:

Hindsight would be of great benefit at times like that wouldn't it?  happy001

Misunderstood

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »
Funny isn't it?   I have heard more than enough lately about global warming,  but not a word about the global wetting!

Can't we export some of it to Australia?  Or arrange a swap with Saudi for some oil maybe...

Then I can trade my wet feet for leaving my TV on all night!   cloud9:

Offline D P Dance

• Welcomed Stranger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Apparently, the good people of Tewksbury and Gloucester are likely to run out of water by mid afternoon, the waterworks in both places are flooded.
A member of the Berkshire Hunt

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:40 AM »
Apparently, the good people of Tewksbury and Gloucester are likely to run out of water by mid afternoon, the waterworks in both places are flooded.
happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »
The Met Office says this is all quite normal  eeek:
All part of the strange and little understood climate cycles apparently.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Misunderstood

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
The Met Office says this is all quite normal  eeek:
All part of the strange and little understood climate cycles apparently.

That's not what they were saying last week.   evil:

It looks like the Weather Service is getting to be much better at telling us what has happened rather than their day job of warning us of what is coming.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »
Well I've just been swamped out of my ocean by a most horrendous storm.
I can't get a full days work in the place at the moment, and I'm getting pretty damned wicked off about it.
Get home and the bloody sun is shining now. evil:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
Where is all the foreign aid and help that the UK give when their's a disaster abroad?
Here we have thousands being made homeless, emergency services that are now struggling to cope, and have we had ANY offer of help for at least pumping equipment and sandbags from our so called friends and neighbours distant and far?

No. I didn't think so. ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 05:23:30 AM »
The thing that annoys me is that once again the weather is ?unprecedented? and the consequences ?impossible? to predict but we?ve all seen these bizarre weather patterns before?

The flood levels are ?the same as 1947? according to Sky news last night so they?ve basically had sixty years to prepare for this disaster and have done jack-shit about it except implement evacuation plans to move the elderly to the local football club and provide them with food and drink.

Incompetent government  warns about climate change, does jack shit about the consequences and promises to built 3m new homes all in one breath ? you really couldn?t make it up could you?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 07:49:13 AM »
We aren't allowed to drink from our taps either. Our plant has been flooded too.  sad24:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 07:50:16 AM »
We aren't allowed to drink from our taps either. Our plant has been flooded too.  sad24:
Did you have to switch to the booze then?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Misunderstood

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »
Unprecedented means it has never happened before, which is simply untrue.

I remember severe flooding across the UK for days on end. and it was on TV so it wasn't THAT long ago!

I've been here before, I've watched land that hitherto has been unaffected by flooding become inundated to the surprise of everyone concerned, and yet one only has to consider the effect of civilisation has on the ground infrastructure to realise that water flow has changed significantly and flooding has become inevitable.

As population levels rise upstream then water disposal becomes a problem for them, and so in a usual human reaction they improve the drainage to disperse the waters from their locale and once achieved, care no more about it.

Trouble is, that given enough upstream places doing that, causes excess water to arrive downstream very much quicker than it used to do, owing to the much improved drainage.  The result is all the extra water arriving downstream at the same time causing flooding, it is so simple that a child could work it out.  So how come it hasn't become obvious to the government planners?

The obvious answer is - it must be, but they have decided to take no action as that would cost money better spent in Iraq,  and it can always be written off as acts of god.   They are also lined up for a fair increase in income by taxes with all the money that has to be spent to make reparations and inflated insurance premiums all round, so I suppose there is little motivation when it's not actually raining.

I didn't get flooded - this time - but I know that I'll end up paying my share of the damage. 

My advice is to pay attention to where the movers and shakers choose to live and avoid the areas they are leaving behind.   That's their answer to the problem.   evil:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »

Same here - Sutton & East Surrey water have advised us to boil all water before use. Before we managed to get a general message out to the 330 or so in my building, some had drunk the water from the vending machines and - staggeringly - all feel a bit "iffy" now, so have had to go home...

I'm not taking any chances, so have been on the beer just to make sure there is sufficient alcohol in my stream to kill any bugs...