Disgusterous

Author Topic: They kept this quiet too ey?  (Read 5344 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: They kept this quiet too ey?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
We aren't allowed to drink from our taps either. Our plant has been flooded too.  sad24:

I'm not taking any chances, so have been on the beer
eeek: Bloody hell fire. Bet that was shock for your system ey? ;)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
We aren't allowed to drink from our taps either. Our plant has been flooded too.  sad24:

I'm not taking any chances, so have been on the beer
eeek: Bloody hell fire. Bet that was shock for your system ey? ;)

One has to make sacrifices to ensure the health of the lovely totty workers here... whistle:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »

Same here - Sutton & East Surrey water have advised us to boil all water before use. Before we managed to get a general message out to the 330 or so in my building, some had drunk the water from the vending machines and - staggeringly - all feel a bit "iffy" now, so have had to go home...

I'm not taking any chances, so have been on the beer just to make sure there is sufficient alcohol in my stream to kill any bugs...

My sister phoned yesterday to warn us, but Mrs Tel forgot to tell me. It's been like it since Friday but so far nothing much has been said. Website says it is the plant at Cheam and also has a list of post-codes affected.

http://www.waterplc.com/WaterPlc/news/info-main.asp

RTFM

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 01:37:06 PM »

Same here - Sutton & East Surrey water have advised us to boil all water before use. Before we managed to get a general message out to the 330 or so in my building, some had drunk the water from the vending machines and - staggeringly - all feel a bit "iffy" now, so have had to go home...

I'm not taking any chances, so have been on the beer just to make sure there is sufficient alcohol in my stream to kill any bugs...

My sister phoned yesterday to warn us, but Mrs Tel forgot to tell me. It's been like it since Friday but so far nothing much has been said. Website says it is the plant at Cheam and also has a list of post-codes affected.

http://www.waterplc.com/WaterPlc/news/info-main.asp

This morning, that link listed by postcode - we were affected. If you now type your postcode in it, it says it "is not recognised as being within the affected area of supply". So they're talking bollox. Again. Probably.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »
What I find interesting is that plant was flooded on Friday. Why on earth has it taken them this long to get round to telling us!

Local supermarkets all sold out of water by the time we found out!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »
Unprecedented means it has never happened before, which is simply untrue.

I remember severe flooding across the UK for days on end. and it was on TV so it wasn't THAT long ago!

I've been here before, I've watched land that hitherto has been unaffected by flooding become inundated to the surprise of everyone concerned, and yet one only has to consider the effect of civilisation has on the ground infrastructure to realise that water flow has changed significantly and flooding has become inevitable.

As population levels rise upstream then water disposal becomes a problem for them, and so in a usual human reaction they improve the drainage to disperse the waters from their locale and once achieved, care no more about it.

Trouble is, that given enough upstream places doing that, causes excess water to arrive downstream very much quicker than it used to do, owing to the much improved drainage.  The result is all the extra water arriving downstream at the same time causing flooding, it is so simple that a child could work it out.  So how come it hasn't become obvious to the government planners?

The obvious answer is - it must be, but they have decided to take no action as that would cost money better spent in Iraq,  and it can always be written off as acts of god.   They are also lined up for a fair increase in income by taxes with all the money that has to be spent to make reparations and inflated insurance premiums all round, so I suppose there is little motivation when it's not actually raining.

I didn't get flooded - this time - but I know that I'll end up paying my share of the damage. 

My advice is to pay attention to where the movers and shakers choose to live and avoid the areas they are leaving behind.   That's their answer to the problem.   evil:
Agree.

We used to live in Maidenhead which flooded regularly?

The ?solution? was a multi-million Pound flood relief scheme which took all the water directly to Windsor downstream which now floods instead.

You won?t believe this bit tho ? brace yourselves ? the flood relief channel was dug across some of the most productive gravel bearing soil of the country, all of which was previously unavailable because of green belt designations. What a bizarre remarkable coincidence eh?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »
Unprecedented means it has never happened before, which is simply untrue.

I remember severe flooding across the UK for days on end. and it was on TV so it wasn't THAT long ago!

I've been here before, I've watched land that hitherto has been unaffected by flooding become inundated to the surprise of everyone concerned, and yet one only has to consider the effect of civilisation has on the ground infrastructure to realise that water flow has changed significantly and flooding has become inevitable.

As population levels rise upstream then water disposal becomes a problem for them, and so in a usual human reaction they improve the drainage to disperse the waters from their locale and once achieved, care no more about it.

Trouble is, that given enough upstream places doing that, causes excess water to arrive downstream very much quicker than it used to do, owing to the much improved drainage.  The result is all the extra water arriving downstream at the same time causing flooding, it is so simple that a child could work it out.  So how come it hasn't become obvious to the government planners?

The obvious answer is - it must be, but they have decided to take no action as that would cost money better spent in Iraq,  and it can always be written off as acts of god.   They are also lined up for a fair increase in income by taxes with all the money that has to be spent to make reparations and inflated insurance premiums all round, so I suppose there is little motivation when it's not actually raining.

I didn't get flooded - this time - but I know that I'll end up paying my share of the damage. 

My advice is to pay attention to where the movers and shakers choose to live and avoid the areas they are leaving behind.   That's their answer to the problem.   evil:
Agree.

We used to live in Maidenhead which flooded regularly?

The ?solution? was a multi-million Pound flood relief scheme which took all the water directly to Windsor downstream which now floods instead.

You won?t believe this bit tho ? brace yourselves ? the flood relief channel was dug across some of the most productive gravel bearing soil of the country, all of which was previously unavailable because of green belt designations. What a bizarre remarkable coincidence eh?

If you believe in coincidence yes it is indeed remarkable .... so remarkable as to suggest that some council members might have coincidental relatives who were, coincidently, in the gravel extraction business.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:17:32 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Misunderstood

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »
I am not surprised!  Whenever we have a problem, someone else makes a fortune.  Banghead

Misunderstood

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
That was a very quiet 'woof' there Snoopy - What did you say?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »
The question that keeps coming back to my mind is ~ How did Tony Blair know this was about to happen?
Poor old Gordon .... I almost felt sorry for him trying to say the right words when he "toured" the flooded areas. Tony would have had a sob in his voice and looked as if he was choking back the tears. He'd have called it "The People's Flood" and invoke the Good Lord on our behalf. Gordon on the other hand just looked and sounded shifty.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »
That was a very quiet 'woof' there Snoopy - What did you say?

Hit the wrong tit in my eagerness ~ have corrected the problem with a quick edit.  redface:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »
"The People's Flood"

happy001  that's very naughty, but  happy001
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 02:28:19 PM »
The question that keeps coming back to my mind is ~ How did Tony Blair know this was about to happen?
Poor old Gordon .... I almost felt sorry for him trying to say the right words when he "toured" the flooded areas. Tony would have had a sob in his voice and looked as if he was choking back the tears. He'd have called it "The People's Flood" and invoke the Good Lord on our behalf. Gordon on the other hand just looked and sounded shifty.
Excellent!

I was thinking earlier what a farce it was that Gordo was there anyway ?to see for himself? when we can all see the extent of the flooding by switching on the telly with round-the-clock news coverage. Having the PM there can be nothing more than an expensive inconvenience when they need all resources, including helicopters that are available to sort out the obvious problems?

Yet you can guarantee that if he had stayed at home and watched it on the telly there would have been uproar ? one of the few things that the media and opposition would have actually expressed some angst over.

Strange world?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Misunderstood

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
On that point alone I have some sympathy for his dilemma, I would bet good money that given his choice he wouldn't have gone anywhere near water.   

Being Scottish that would, no doubt, include his whiskey!  ::)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »
Pedant alert : whiskey is from Ireland (northern) whereas whisky is the bad Scottish impression thereof.

Bushmills = good, everything else = not good.

OK?