Author Topic: I am thinking of leasing a car  (Read 1791 times)

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
I am thinking of leasing a car
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
My mate the ex Lodger has given me some advice. Anyone have any experience? Pros and cons?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: I am thinking of leasing a car
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
Yes I have ~ Motabilty vehicles are a lease agreement.
Prior to that, when I lost the use of a company car due to retirement, I leased a vehicle.
Works well as they take care of all servicing, insurance, road tax new tyres etc. All you pay for is the lease (hire) and fuel costs.

Downside is that you either have to pay a large sum to keep the car at the end of the lease period or you have to give it back in good order ~ bodywork, upholstery etc and have had it serviced when & where they tell you to. Failure to pass the hand back inspection can result in a hefty surcharge. There is usually a limit to the annual mileage (and their service centre will report the mileage to them each time they have the car in), this is normally either 10,000 or 15,000 miles but that is negotiable at the commencement of lease. Higher agreed annual mileage will mean a higher monthly lease charge and if you undershoot the miles agreed there is no rebate! Some companies charge you for excess miles each year, some are willing to average it out.

As you are self employed it is possible probable that you can charge part of the lease costs against tax but only for business miles. This means accurate record keeping!! Check your tax offset position with your accountant before you sign up for a leased vehicle.

Most large companies now lease the vehicles they issue to their managers and sales reps so there has to be a reason ... the main one being they have no worries about taxing on time, servicing etc. Some lease agreements will include a loan car when yours is being serviced/repaired and some won't.

Choose your supplier carefully and read the full terms and conditions before you sign up!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:58:25 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Nick

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
More or less what he said  rubschin:

Tempting. What with the smell of burning and stuff

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
Shares in leasing companies tumble - FTSE in free fall.  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
TBH Nick ~ The only reason I gave up leasing from Motability (and they are no cheaper than many other lease companies) was that I was paying for 15,000 miles pa but only averaging 1760 miles a year. It seemed cheaper to me to buy my own car and run it into the ground.
The last one I leased was a Picasso ... Nice car but it broke my heart to hand it back in pristine condition at the end of three years (@ £200 a month) with just under 5300 miles on the clock. 5300 miles @£200 a month = £7200 + fuel costs was not, to my mind, a good deal. Of course once signed into a lease deal only death can get you out of it or they want the car back + the balance of the lease agreement. No way will they take a car back 'cos you have lost your licence or change your mind.

That said I now have hooooge garage bills, MOTs etc to worry about and I pay my own insurance. Road Tax is free to me as I am registered disabled..... that applies only to one vehicle tho' so I still pay road tax on the other two.

Top Tip: Think carefully about what you need the car for. No point in driving around in something large when there is only you in it most of the time. You will be paying extra just to carry fresh air! I know you are a big bloke and a small car would be uncomfortable but try several before you commit or you could be stuck with something you neither want nor need..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:13:56 PM by Snoopy »

Online Nick

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
Well if I end up going to Poole a lot (plus other stuff) the ex Lodger reckons 12000 miles a year at about 240 a month +VAT would be about right. FOr a nice new car  cloud9:

My old diesel keeps going but has 90000 on the clock and won't last for ever. And my accountant is quite cunning (Indian!!)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
If your accountant can write off the business miles element (plus fuel) against tax and you can get back the VAT I'd say go for it without hesitation but choose a sensible vehicle.... you don't need a large family car!

You might like to consider one with a speed limiter  ;)

Joking apart the Picasso had a speed warning device fitted. I could choose to ignore it but by Christ it stopped me from exceeding the limit in built up areas.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:23:47 PM by Snoopy »

Online Nick

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
 rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
Get a few quotes via the interweb and ask your accountant for their opinion. See what they reckon they can do a deal with the Revenue over.

I'd ignore Fords unless you really want one ... their lease deals are not as good as some of those currently on offer from Citroen and Fiat dealers. Avoid Vauxhall like the plague!
Skoda (if you can handle the piss taking that goes with owning one) are pretty good now and are offering good lease deals. Renault tend to be expensive for some reason.

Online Nick

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »
Quite right hound. The Ex Lodger has a VW Passat with all the trimmings. He is sending me links.....

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:48:38 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
This will be the only car with two dipsticks.... one under the bonnet and one behind the wheel  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
This will be the only car with two dipsticks.... one under the bonnet and one behind the wheel  whistle:

happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »
 ::)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
  happy100  Have a manly hug ~ you know I don't mean it.

Ackchooly if the figures stack up, based on anticipated mileage and accountants can work the tax angles, a leased vehicle would be a good idea for someone in your position.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:30:36 PM by Snoopy »