Author Topic: VP New Year  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: VP New Year
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
Oh, is that all...  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
It's four years actually.

Pedant!  ;)

All right we'll be starting our fifth year.

We'll be old enough to have to go to skool ~ although in Wales they start skool at 3 years of age.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »

Pedant!  ;)

We'll be old enough to have to go to skool ~ although in Wales they start skool at 3 years of age.

We don't have to learn Welsh do we...?  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Welsh isn't a real language. It's just a noise they make when English people are about
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »

Pedant!  ;)

We don't have to learn Welsh do we...?  ::)

Im alright I can count to 10 in Welsh, thats more than enough!  redface:

Edited... but its a while since I mussed up the quoting thingy.  surrender:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:40:57 AM by Tipsy Gipsy »
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
Any country, where half the population is called Jones or Jenkins (see their Rugby team) that promotes a language with no J in its alphabet deserves all the mockery we can muster.

Oh and yes I too can count to ten, know that Gorsaf Dan is the Fire Station, y Heddlu are the Police and Araf means slow. I also know that Baa! means "I have a headache!"

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Any country, where half the population is called Jones or Jenkins (see their Rugby team) that promotes a language with no J in its alphabet deserves all the mockery we can muster.

Oh and yes I too can count to ten, know that Gorsaf Dan is the Fire Station, y Heddlu are the Police and Araf means slow. I also know that Baa! means "I have a headache!"

and Ty Bach I think is useful or have I got that wrong?  rubschin:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

Very useful if you're hanging curtains  ;)
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:01 AM »

Very useful if you're hanging curtains  ;)

happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
Ysbty = Hospital
Ambiwlans = Ambulance
AND
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is actually known by the locals as Llanfair PG

A single F is pronounced as a V

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
Aah, now that I know a single f = a v, it all makes sense  ;)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
The problem with the Welsh Language is that it does not follow the same basics as most languages (ie Greek or Latin) so you get stresses where you don't expect them. They also change the spelling of words depending on what word follows it in the sentence. Lastly Welsh has not evolved over the centuries but rather has had to be reinvented (mainly by Aberysthwyth University) so there is a lot of argument between the "Purists" mainly in North Wales and the "Modernists" mainly in South Wales.
For instance in South Wales there are several words for Milk but in North Wales it is simply "Laith".
Aberysthwyth degreed that words that did not exist in Welsh such as Telephone should be "Welshified" to Telefon (and completely ignored the single F is pronounced V)
The net result is that there is not really a single Welsh language ... it goes further than simply regional dialects and a fluent Welsh speaker from this area can barely communicate with one from Cardiff.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
The problem with the Welsh Language is that it does not follow the same basics as most languages (ie Greek or Latin) so you get stresses where you don't expect them. They also change the spelling of words depending on what word follows it in the sentence. Lastly Welsh has not evolved over the centuries but rather has had to be reinvented (mainly by Aberysthwyth University) so there is a lot of argument between the "Purists" mainly in North Wales and the "Modernists" mainly in South Wales.
For instance in South Wales there are several words for Milk but in North Wales it is simply "Laith".
Aberysthwyth degreed that words that did not exist in Welsh such as Telephone should be "Welshified" to Telefon (and completely ignored the single F is pronounced V)
The net result is that there is not really a single Welsh language ... it goes further than simply regional dialects and a fluent Welsh speaker from this area can barely communicate with one from Cardiff.

Funnily enough I had a similar conversation with one of the lads at work last week. He lives at Abergavenny, and was explaining the different dialects, and that at his kids school they teach English as the 2nd language (his Mrs is Welsh, he's as English as you or I)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 11:48:10 AM »
In Wales school roughly divide between those that teach in Welsh Medium and those that teach in English Medium. At either the "second" language element is compulsory to GCSE level. The biggest problems with this system are (i) There are not sufficient Welsh speaking teachers qualified in various subjects (Maths and Science are particularly difficult subjects to recruit for) and (ii) very few English speaking teachers are fluent enough to cope with every day language in Welsh.
SWWLTBO is supposed to teach bilingually but makes do with sprinkling a few Welsh words here and there throughout each lesson. It satisfies the legal requirements, just about.
Since SWWLTBO teaches mainly history she has to bone up on the Welsh dimension. Ever heard of the "Rebecca Riots"? ... It seems that in the 18th century some Welsh  farm workers ganged up to attack toll gates. To disguise themselves they dressed in wimmins clothing, hopeful that the Army sent in to sort them would not shoot at wimmin. The Welsh are terrifically proud of this "daring-do" and despite the fact that the "Riots" lasted only a short while the teaching occupies a hooge portion of the syllabus.

Online Nick

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
That's the Welsh for you. Any excuse to dress up as wimmin  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile