Author Topic: Reviews, inquests, public enquiries etc - what do they ever achieve ?  (Read 352 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
I was just listening to the news and The Government has apologised after being publicly humiliated as one of the last countries that has managed to charter a plane to get it's citizens out of Libya ....and the end of the piece  the inevitable utterings .... we will review this situation to ensure in future ( yadda,yadda, yadda) will not happen again   (blah, blah, blah) and learn from our mistakes (yawn , stretch ,nod off again )

There is the July the 7th inquest going on that says we fecked up and need to be better prepared in future ....and so on and so forth

What on earth do these really achieve , apart from costing a fortune and identifying people to go and sit on the naughty step ?

Skubber

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: Reviews, inquests, public enquiries etc - what do they ever achieve ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »
could not agree more ......what is the point of a 2 year "report" ...more fecking jobs for jobsworths ... cussing:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:31:31 AM »
I 100% agree with the OP - a complete utter waste of time and money... look at that bastard Bloody Sunday enquiry - cost ££££££££££££s and to what end?

As for Libya, I can see from here that the 'air bridge' that is supposed to bring our troops back from Afghanistan to Cyprus and thence to the UK hardly ever works because the aircraft we have are ancient.... Imagine being all ready to go home on leave after a tour of duty only to be told that the fucking VC10 has broken down again (they were delivered in 1966 FFS) and you have to stay another day or two...

So little wonder that they can't spare an aircraft or two to rescue ex-pats from Libya...

WHat an utter clusterfuck!   cussing:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I see the government couldn't manage to charter a plane quickly enough however BP could get in there and manage it before them - how ineffective does it make them look  noooo:

Do you think the Iraq enquiry might go the way of the Bloody Sunday one ? ...cost a small national debt and guess what - will conclude someone lied .

Will anyone face any consequences? - highly unlikely. But it will be very reassuring to know that we won't make those mistakes again if we faced exactly the same situation in the future  ::)

Worth every penny of you ask me  Banghead Banghead Banghead
Skubber

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »
I agree with all of the above. Even I have taken to talking at/abusing the TV in recent days and I usually leave that to Mr C and just nod and say yes dear.  Mr Cs son is here at present makes for some lively diatribes. ;D
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I am of the type that says "Fvck it" and moves on. Many are not and need the blame game to be fully played out ... often in the hope that someone other than they will be the ones who are blamed (See Saville enquiry as a first class example). In simple terms anyone who was there and failed to disperse when instructed was asking for trouble but they all want to blame the Army. Had the Provos not organised the "protest" the events on that Sunday could never have happened. Same with many other enquiries. 7/7? The blame for that falls squarely on the multi-culture society that has been allowed to evolve in the UK. If someone is determined to blow themselves up and take many with them there is little that can be done to stop them. MI5 cannot follow every extremist all of the time nor can they identify them all, after all they don't wear a badge advertising their beliefs.

Shit happens ~ accept it and move on ~ or as Mother used to say "What cannot be cured must be endured".

So who drives this demand for "Enquiries"? Lawyers who make a lot of money out of it, Politicians who want to prove it wasn't their fault and thus retain their lucrative positions, The Press who sell papers on the back of it and some victims (or relations thereof) who want compensation money and need someone to send the bill to ...... that's who. In the end it is about ££££££££££s not truth.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:45:40 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
Well said Snoops.