Author Topic: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread  (Read 247644 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »
I can sort of understand why he did, BM.  We are all still temps, but the full-timers get a monthly bonus. His accident will cost each and every one of them £100. He's 40 years old and what I would call a bit of a "softie". He wouldn't have been able to handle the remarks that would have been made about him, within earshot. Shame, he's a nice bloke.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2011, 04:41:18 AM »
Fell on his sword like....?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
 Popcorn:

Has Gatwick closed?

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #348 on: October 09, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
Sorry for the lack of recent updates, but nothing "new" has happened.

Until Monday just gone, when I received a text from my agency saying that with immediate effect, I would be finishing at 1am, not 2am. The logic being that now the summer holidays are over, the number of big, late flights has reduced, thus less headcount required.  And to an extent, that is right.

On Monday night, however, there were still six big flights due in after 1am and it resulted in Supervisors et al having to leave the comfy office to go and unload the planes.  Today was my first night back on shift and an eyed up the flights after midnight - 6 from 12am to 1am and NINE from 1am to 2am. Iwas not in the least bit surprised when I called my last scheduled job in at 00.45 - "can you stop on for an hour - we'll pay you for 2".  8)

And so it came to pass that we finally unloaded the ErictheLion flight (Heraklion) and were back in the crew room at 02.13. The Duty Manager was extremely grateful to the 3 of us who stayed and even gave a lift straight back to the staff car park, rather than having to catch the staff bus. And he let us smoke in the car en route.  ;D

I expect the same to happen later on today as Sunday's are busier than Saturday's.

The contract I'm on expires on 31/10 and I am led to believe that we should be informed who is being kept on permanently, some time this week. The bottom line is they are keeping about 30% of the 150 or so they took on over the summer. Will I be one of them? I don't know, but stopping on when they are short of bodies always goes down well and I have always volunteered. Fingers crossed.

Relationships with British Airways continue to plumb new depths and one of our lot was accused of clobbering a BA bus with his electric buggy. The general feeling is that the bus driver managed to do the damage and has simply blamed us for it - for starters the damage occurred in part of the airport we simply don't use - it's pure BA territory and secondly if the 3 and 1/2 ton electric buggy had hit it, the damage would be pretty extensive. Lying bastards!

One of the blokes who started at the same time as me, through the same agency, is a Scouser, Despite this, he's not a bad lad - he was in the Navy for 22 years and remarkably well-read. For a Scouser. We had a bet about a month ago about wearing shorts - who would be the first to put trousers on when it got colder. Lo and behold, today he was wearing trousers - poof! So all the coffees have been on him today. And I accidentally nearly broke his arm - I was chucking the bags from the dark recesses of the hold of an A320 to the hatch and he was too slow taking a previous bag out - BANG - 26kg of fake Louis Vuitton luggage crushed his arm against the side of the hold door. Whoops...

Right, time to hit the sack, I've gotta be back there in 9 1/2 hours...

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #349 on: October 09, 2011, 07:21:23 AM »
Hope they make you a suitable offer TMR . Perhaps then you might be able to have  a bit of a holiday of your own  :thumbsup:
Skubber

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #350 on: October 09, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
Hope they make you a suitable offer TMR . Perhaps then you might be able to have  a bit of a holiday of your own  :thumbsup:

... and chance his baggage with those baggage handlers  noooo:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #351 on: October 09, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »

Holiday you say? But where  rubschin:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
Know a cheap place in Cyprus  :thumbsup:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Know a cheap place in Cyprus  :thumbsup:

All freshly painted like.......... :thumbsup:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2011, 11:29:41 PM »
Praise be to the Greek Austerity measures. Their ATC keep going on strike and I keep getting overtime because of it!

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
Praise be to the Greek Austerity measures. Their ATC keep going on strike and I keep getting overtime because of it!

:thumbsup:  hoping for you that all nations have a credit bail-out ........ lol:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #356 on: October 10, 2011, 02:01:45 AM »

:thumbsup:  hoping for you that all nations have a credit bail-out ........ lol:

Indeed. I'm home now, but flight radar 24 (http://www.flightradar24.com/) shows 3 more Easyjets about to land. I could have stayed longer!

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:08 AM »

Indeed. I'm home now, but flight radar 24 (http://www.flightradar24.com/) shows 3 more Easyjets about to land. I could have stayed longer!

More over-time ......... :thumbsup:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2011, 02:20:07 AM »

More over-time ......... :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying a nice couple of bottles of Old Speckled Hen - I need it, the last two jobs there were only two of us on it - me and camp Nigel, he's a nice bloke but a bit slow. The last flight we did was from Faro and it had 29 golf bags (with clothes inside) all weighing the full 32kgs - he was too knackered to lift any of them! I ended up chucking 83 out of the 122 bags on to the reclaim belt, me bleedy arms are like Popeye's. He is 53, mind...well old...

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #359 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:06 AM »
Oi!  cussing:  53 is not well old (JOM 52 and 10 months)
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie