Author Topic: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread  (Read 247765 times)

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
Re: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread
« Reply #840 on: February 25, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
To be fair, what seemed like a torrent of fuel to TMR was probably only a small drip to a normal sized person....

Up to his ankles...... ;D

Knees prolly... happy001

I could have swum in it  Thumbs:

happy001

I wouldn't have thought you'd want to. Swim in it, that is. AFAIK AVTUR is not good to swim in . . . .
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #841 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
Without doubt the toughest 13 hours I've done at Gatwick.

It snowed all day - sometimes blizzardy, sometimes not so bad.  My little legs were blue with cold within 1/2 hour and they stayed that way for the next 12 1/2 hours.  For reasons I haven't yet fathomed, the bloke who does the headsets (me) also drives the open-topped loading belt from job to job. Some of these belts do about 30mph so driving them in a blizzard gives you the pleasure of having your retinas battered by the snow and ice.

The first 3 jobs we simply loaded the planes and then had to leave them sitting on stand as there was over an hour wait for de-icing.

I was then sent out to remote stand where the de-icing was taking place. As the planes pulled up - I, as headsets man - had to chock it, put the steering bypass pin in and connect the headset, then chat to the captain to see what he wanted de-iced, pass this on to the de-icing team, then standby whilst they did this (about 10 minutes) then talk to the captain again to give him clearance to restart engines, remove pin + chocks and send him on his way. I completely lost all feeling in my hands for the 2 1/2 hours I was doing it.

Then back to loading and leaving them again...

The snow came with a vengeance at about 6pm so by the time I left at 7pm the M23 was total chaos - crawling homeward at about 20mph - barely able to make out the lanes or cars in front. 

Horrible. Gonna have a couple of beers and go to bed  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #842 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »

It snowed all day - sometimes blizzardy, sometimes not so bad.  My little legs were blue with cold within 1/2 hour and they stayed that way for the next 12 1/2 hours.  For reasons I haven't yet fathomed, the bloke who does the headsets (me) also drives the open-topped loading belt from job to job. Some of these belts do about 30mph so driving them in a blizzard gives you the pleasure of having your retinas battered by the snow and ice.

The first 3 jobs we simply loaded the planes and then had to leave them sitting on stand as there was over an hour wait for de-icing.

I was then sent out to remote stand where the de-icing was taking place. As the planes pulled up - I, as headsets man - had to chock it, put the steering bypass pin in and connect the headset, then chat to the captain to see what he wanted de-iced, pass this on to the de-icing team, then standby whilst they did this (about 10 minutes) then talk to the captain again to give him clearance to restart engines, remove pin + chocks and send him on his way. I completely lost all feeling in my hands for the 2 1/2 hours I was doing it.

The snow came with a vengeance at about 6pm so by the time I left at 7pm the M23 was total chaos - crawling homeward at about 20mph - barely able to make out the lanes or cars in front. 

eeek:  but will make the beers taste better........... :thumbsup:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #843 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
^^^ Wot he said

You've earned it them
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #844 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »

point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #845 on: March 12, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »

Well deserved beers TMR, glad to see you got home
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Shear pin on an A320 bar went as we were pushing the plane out. It happens.

What happened after though  noooo: noooo: noooo:  All due to a fuckwitted Welsh  censored: And funnily enough, he's called Nick  cussing:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2013, 05:51:27 AM »

What happened after though  noooo: noooo: noooo:  All due to a fuckwitted Welsh  censored: And funnily enough, he's called Nick  cussing:

I suppose that is why they call it a 'shear pin' and not a 'never to break pin'...? ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2013, 06:48:47 AM »

I suppose that is why they call it a 'shear pin' and not a 'never to break pin'...? ::)

How does that work with stockings?
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »

*Predictable response klaxon*

I've never heard of 'never break stockings'....  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #850 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

*Predictable response klaxon*

I've never heard of 'never break stockings'....  rubschin:

I suppose it was all tights in your youth?
I mostly despair

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #851 on: March 16, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

I suppose that's why I wrote "It happens"  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #852 on: March 16, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »

lol: lol: lol:

Are you at werk? The kids are on their way back....  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »

Not today - beer and rugby today  :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #854 on: March 16, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »

Not today - beer and rugby today  :thumbsup:

::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs: