Disgusterous

Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 1092 times)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Batteries
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »
When I was a kid a set of Ever Readys in a toy would last about five minutes...

New battery powered toy on Xmas day...? By the end of Boxing Day the battery had leaked acid all over the place and the toy was knackered.

Not these modern bastard batteries!  cussing:

Bloody things last forever and the toys are soooo fecking noisy!  Banghead

One of them here has been playing the same freaking tune over and over for a week now.... and you need a teeny-tiny screwdriver to take the battery out....  noooo:

Although it probably isn't pool-proof...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
Don't blame the advances in battery technology ~ blame the idiots who buy such toys for children.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »
Don't blame the advances in battery technology ~ blame the idiots who buy such toys for children.

Well it wasn't bloody me!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »

I didn't suggest it was .... Personally I have a deep loathing of Aunts, Uncles and sundry others who buy babies such toys. They do not, in my experience, do anything but produce lazy children who cannot find their own amusement. Hide the bloody things and give the kid some cardboard boxes to hide in, spend some time teaching it nursery rhymes that it can recite/sing, soft toys it can mother and learn to dress ~ the child will be just as happy learning to play properly.
One of the best and quietest toys my three ever had was one of these.

They all learnt to fasten a zip, buttons, buckles, laces etc from it and, best of all, the bloody thing was quiet. All three used to sleep with it in their turn. It is, fortunately, washable.

All that said I have bought noisy, annoying, toys for grandchildren ~ just to get my revenge on their parents  eveilgrin:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »

I didn't suggest it was .... Personally I have a deep loathing of Aunts, Uncles and sundry others who buy babies such toys. They do not, in my experience, do anything but produce lazy children who cannot find their own amusement. Hide the bloody things and give the kid some cardboard boxes to hide in, spend some time teaching it nursery rhymes that it can recite/sing, soft toys it can mother and learn to dress ~ the child will be just as happy learning to play properly.

They all learnt to fasten a zip, buttons, buckles, laces etc from it and, best of all, the bloody thing was quiet. All three used to sleep with it in their turn. It is, fortunately, washable.

All that said I have bought noisy, annoying, toys for grandchildren ~ just to get my revenge on their parents  eveilgrin:

My lot had one of those.
My son loved Tomas the tank engine and so we had books and tapes. The tapes were the bane of my life if I were confronted by Ringo Starr today (or any day for that matter) I would strangle him for the misery he put me through.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »

My lot had one of those.
My son loved Tomas the tank engine and so we had books and tapes. The tapes were the bane of my life if I were confronted by Ringo Starr today (or any day for that matter) I would strangle him for the misery he put me through.

lol: I can still quote chunks of "Thomas the Tank Engine" stories. In fact we still have the videos.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Try buying some batteries from the 99p Stores ... they won't last so long  evil:

redface:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »
Try buying some batteries from the 99p Stores ... they won't last so long  evil:

redface:

point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »

My lot had one of those.

See... if I wasn't at work I'd have been able to post the stuttering Thomas the Tank engine clip. Somebody please post it to brighten my evening later . Pretty please
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
The things I do for you.  ::)

thomas the tank engine

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
The daughter of a friend of mine used to have a teddy ruxpin that she played over and over and over again and used to drive everyone nuts (much to her amusement) until someone swapped the tape it had for an Iron Maiden album....

I really wish I had a camera when she switched it on and Can I Play With Madness suddenly started blasting out. Strangely enough she never touched it again  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »
The daughter of a friend of mine used to have a teddy ruxpin that she played over and over and over again and used to drive everyone nuts (much to her amusement) until someone swapped the tape it had for an Iron Maiden album....

I really wish I had a camera when she switched it on and Can I Play With Madness suddenly started blasting out. Strangely enough she never touched it again  whistle:

eveilgrin:

Miss Piggy used to have Mary Poppins on a VHS tape which she played over and over. Play. Rewind. Play. rewind, etc...

...until somebody dubbed over the soundtrack...  whistle:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »

New battery powered toy on Xmas day...? By the end of Boxing Day the battery had leaked acid all over the place and the toy was knackered.

One of them here has been playing the same freaking tune over and over for a week now.... and you need a teeny-tiny screwdriver to take the battery out....  noooo:

Batteries then .........weren't they wind-up ........ rubschin:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »

Batteries then .........weren't they wind-up ........ rubschin:

redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
Talking of Iron Maiden, their plane (Boeing 757) is just leaving Gatwick now, with Bruce at the controls.