Author Topic: The Public Service strike  (Read 576 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
The Public Service strike
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:28:33 AM »
All ready like.

Will we notice?

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: The Public Service strike
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »
Yes - The Brat will be at home and I will come home after a day at work to find washing up piled high in the sink , the bathroom looking like a chemical explosion as she has been experimenting with this , that and the other, nothing left in the fridge to eat and all the lights, tv's and music turned on in the house   evil:
Skubber

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »
Scab  ;)
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
Go on strike then. Simples  whistle:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:15:12 AM »
We are not striking tomorrow  whistle:

Oh and 'the date' has been deferred . Something about son's school play having to be put on tonight now instead of tomorrow , so can we go out on Thursday instead.

Not a problem I said ( perhaps a bit indifferently  redface: ) , which would appear to have been the wrong thing to say.  I got a further message saying honestly if it was anything else I would have said no to that - don't want you to feel that you are not important  etc .  noooo: noooo: noooo:

Still - good to have the upper hand  whistle:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:20:40 AM »
Since Belgium has managed without a Government for over a year ...... Frankly I don't think most of us will notice

Seriously I'm with Norman Tebbit on this one ~ the Coalition has chosen the right battle ground at the right time. N.T. was on the radio last week expounding on his views. As he so rightly said ... The reforms to employment law that he pushed through were not a knee-jerk reaction but a carefully and long planned series of measures. Mrs T picked the moment to do battle when they (the Conservatives) judged that the strikers had little or no sympathy from the general public. Scargill & Co fell right into their trap and went for strikes and threats of bringing the country to its knees just at the point when the vast majority were ready to ignore their arguments. Talking to people who are not in line for the sort of pensions that the current public service workers wish to hang onto I have found nobody who can see any reason why they alone should be "protected". Those employed in the public sector that I know take the opposite point of view.
The majority in the country seem to me to see this as an us and them situation where a minority are desperately set on hanging on to their privileges .... yes they do appreciate the arguments but are asking "Where were these people when this was done to us under nu-labour? Didn't see them shouting from the roof-tops when my pension was robbed by G. Brown and I lost out so why the hell should I support them now?"
Add to that the fact that many see the public sector workers as "enforcers and meddlers" and an awful lot are thinking "About bloody time too".
Thursday may inconvenience a few of us but at the end of the day, if they strike, I see it as our money being saved in not paying their wages.

Yes - The Brat will be at home and I will come home after a day at work to find washing up piled high in the sink , the bathroom looking like a chemical explosion as she has been experimenting with this , that and the other, nothing left in the fridge to eat and all the lights, tv's and music turned on in the house   evil:
Then find her something to do! You can't rely on schools to babysit all the time. After all the child is about to have 6 weeks holiday anyway ~ does one more day make any difference?

I have no children currently in school but I have seen a great many teachers coasting though to a handsome early retirement and a fat pension. The school I removed my boys from had class sizes of 28 pupils, each with a teacher + a classroom assistant and sundry "special needs" helpers in the room had the nerve to ask parents to come in to school to listen to the children read as they "didn't have time in the curriculum" to do it themselves.
I have seen elderly patients in hospital being ignored by "Graduate" nurses who think that actually feeding the infirm is beneath them, that changing a soiled bed is a job for the unqualified ancillary staff and that anyone wanting help is an inconvenience who should be shouted at for daring to ask for it.
AND don't get me started on the police etc.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:25:34 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
I feel better now  ;)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:19 AM »
 scared2:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:50:57 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:46 AM »
I was just about to ask  ;)    aaaaaannnnnddd relax
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »
I feel better now  ;)

We don't.  eeek:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »
Sorry!  surrender:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »
Well said Snoopy, I feel better for that.  ;)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
So when does this strike start then?
I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
Afraid you might have already missed it?

Tomorrow.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
Scab  ;)

I suppose that if anybody uses that phrase now, they will be done for a hate crime?

RTFM