Disgusterous

Author Topic: Should you allow your teen a tipple ?  (Read 828 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Should you allow your teen a tipple ?
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:24:10 AM »
When we were out the other week The Brat asked if she could try a taste of my drink. So I let her have a sip. She is 15 in a couple of months FFS and as yet I have never smelt her coming home with alcohol on her breath or puking up from an excess of WKD or Bacardi Breezers.  It will only be a matter of time I know  scared2:

One of the wimmin there suggested I was encouraging her to drink  ::) . My view is that she is going to be curious , she is going to have access to drink if she wants it and I would rather be honest with her than completely prohibit it and suggest that a drop does not pass her lips until she is 18  ::) . Lets face it how realistic is that  noooo:

What say you of your experience, having raised your own ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:29:57 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Should you allow your teen a tipple ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:29:04 AM »
It is stupid to try and prohibit booze...  noooo:

It can't be done for starters (unless you watch  her 24/7). Plus, the more you make things inaccessible, the more they want them... Ban children from smoking...? yes, that works too...

You should ask your friend why so many young people in this country are on drugs... not only are they not allowed to be advertised at all I'm sure no parent has offered their youngster a spliff...

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
She is not one of my friends ( you can see why  lol: ) - she was an acquaintance of one of them . She blathered on about making it all acceptable that 'kids' can drink now and it is an adult choice , yadda  yadda , yadda . Fair to say her kids look so repressed that they are likely to be seen on CrimeWatch soon having gone on a mass killing spree  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
She is not one of my friends ( you can see why  lol: ) - she was an acquaintance of one of them . She blathered on about making it all acceptable that 'kids' can drink now and it is an adult choice , yadda  yadda , yadda . Fair to say her kids look so repressed that they are likely to be seen on CrimeWatch soon having gone on a mass killing spree  noooo:

My case rests...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »
Have always let my children try drinks ..... in small quantities, often watered down. The French do it as a matter of course ... watered wine with meals for children that is.
None of mine has turned into an alcoholic yet.
A controlled introduction is sensible. Usually the first taster of "Dad's beer" puts them off the whole thing for several years. The THW has got bladdered twice since turning 17 and puked on both occasions .... she now drinks in moderation. Everyone needs to find their level on such things but introducing her to it slowly over the years prolly helped put off the experimentation stage until she was older than many of her school fellows before she got plastered.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 06:41:40 AM »
Have always let my children try drinks ..... in small quantities, often watered down. The French do it as a matter of course ... watered wine with meals for children that is.
None of mine has turned into an alcoholic yet.
A controlled introduction is sensible. Usually the first taster of "Dad's beer" puts them off the whole thing for several years. The THW has got bladdered twice since turning 17 and puked on both occasions .... she now drinks in moderation. Everyone needs to find their level on such things but introducing her to it slowly over the years prolly helped put off the experimentation stage until she was older than many of her school fellows before she got plastered.

Indeed... my parents introduced me to the booze quite early and look how well I turned out!  happy088

Oh...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:44:58 AM »
 lol: lol: lol:

You moved to a different country just so as you could afford it  whistle:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 06:47:26 AM »
lol: lol: lol:

You moved to a different country just so as you could afford it  whistle:

yes...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:53 AM »
I've let both of mine try, my son didn't like the taste and hasn't shown any interest at all and my daughter now has the very occasional Smirnoff Ice. While at the local pub recently she had a sip of Guiness and declared it horrible though oddly she also tried the Old Speckled Hen that my brother was drinking and quite liked it.

Seeing as I don't drink it then technically if I buy a bottle of Smirnoff Ice I am breaking the law as I'm purchasing it for a minor.  noooo:

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »
I agree with everyone here. The Boy dipped his finger in some champagne and then licked his finger aged about 8 and declared it to be "Yucky" but I would have no problem now letting him sample a sip of wine or beer if he expressed a desire to do so. Otherwise it's forbidden fruit, innit?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
Surely it is better for them to drink with you. At least then you can monitor them. They will do it anyway, but if you are there you can ensure they are sensible with what and how much they drink rather than go behind your back and end up barfing up a mixture of cider, WKD and blue nun.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
I have little doubt that at some point my two will end up barfing after consuming too much drink. It'll be another of life's lessons.

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
One we've all experienced yet strangely never learnt from.. rubschin:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
true  redface:

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
 redface:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile