Author Topic: NOTW - Scum  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: NOTW - Scum
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
Newspapers were of no value after they banned wrapping fish and chips in them.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 08:05:59 AM »
Newspapers were of no value after they banned wrapping fish and chips in them.  noooo:

Indeed!  lol:

I find it hard to believe that so many people still read them...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »
Dad used to delight in the old News of the World ~ back in the fifties when he relished their tales of clergymen (a breed he hated with a passion) being defrocked, scout masters and/or choir masters (all "bloody queers" ) being sacked, 'Bloody queers', particularly MPs and Members of the House of Lords (all "no better than I'd expect them to be") being fined for importuning in public toilets, Lawyers ( "Bloody crooks, the lot of 'em!'') being caught with their hands in the till and best of all, to be re-read again after tea, those stories which always ended with the reporters saying "At this point we made our excuses and left".

Thinking about it now he was typical of the working man of his era ... always ready to revel in the downfall of anyone who was perceived to "not have to work for a living". The NotW was his bible .... he always reckoned that he expected me to end up in their pages. Thus far I have avoided such a fate.
I must be a great disappointment to him, wherever he is now. confused:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »
Dad used to delight in the old News of the World ~ back in the fifties when he relished their tales of clergymen (a breed he hated with a passion) being defrocked, scout masters and/or choir masters (all "bloody queers" ) being sacked, 'Bloody queers', particularly MPs and Members of the House of Lords (all "no better than I'd expect them to be") being fined for importuning in public toilets, Lawyers ( "Bloody crooks, the lot of 'em!'') being caught with their hands in the till and best of all, to be re-read again after tea, those stories which always ended with the reporters saying "At this point we made our excuses and left".

Thinking about it now he was typical of the working man of his era ... always ready to revel in the downfall of anyone who was perceived to "not have to work for a living". The NotW was his bible .... he always reckoned that he expected me to end up in their pages. Thus far I have avoided such a fate.
I must be a great disappointment to him, wherever he is now. confused:

lol: lol: lol:

He sounds like a great bloke...

We were working class and my parents staunch Labour supporters ("I don't care what you say..etc.") so we always had The Mirror. I'm surprised I turned out so well really....  whistle:

I'd imagine that my parents would be spinning in their graves (if I hadn't had them cremated) at the state of things today tho...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »
Have your say about the owner of TNOTW here ...    razz:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/96.php
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
It took me many years to understand where he was coming from and why he held such a grudge against so many..... but now I have done the research into the whole family tree, looked at his life and those of his parents and grandparents etc, I can see what made him what he was. Sadly I had to get right back to the 1500's to find a single land/home owner in his side of the family so his saying, when I bought my first house, "That's not for the likes of us son" was rooted in 400 years of paying rent to someone else. Small wonder he hated them all.

Probably his greatest joy was in reading tales of disaster, downfall and predicted gloom and despondency. A good bankruptcy case brought out the best in him.

When I married for the second time and we bought the first pub tenancy he produced a regular supply of clippings about failed landlords, court cases involving licensees being taken to court on various charges ranging from dirty kitchens to defrauding their breweries. Before going on holiday he would spend weeks looking through the Daily Mirror and the NotW to seek out tales of mishaps at whichever resort they were planning to visit. The internet would have been a real goldmine for him but he never lived to see it. noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
It took me many years to understand where he was coming from and why he held such a grudge against so many..... but now I have done the research into the whole family tree, looked at his life and those of his parents and grandparents etc, I can see what made him what he was. Sadly I had to get right back to the 1500's to find a single land/home owner in his side of the family so his saying, when I bought my first house, "That's not for the likes of us son" was rooted in 400 years of paying rent to someone else. Small wonder he hated them all.

Probably his greatest joy was in reading tales of disaster, downfall and predicted gloom and despondency. A good bankruptcy case brought out the best in him.

When I married for the second time and we bought the first pub tenancy he produced a regular supply of clippings about failed landlords, court cases involving licensees being taken to court on various charges ranging from dirty kitchens to defrauding their breweries. Before going on holiday he would spend weeks looking through the Daily Mirror and the NotW to seek out tales of mishaps at whichever resort they were planning to visit. The internet would have been a real goldmine for him but he never lived to see it. noooo:

My dad didn't get to see the Internet either - or own his own home... I wonder what we won't live to see...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:32 AM »
The completion of a Mini restoration project.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
The completion of a Mini restoration project.

evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »

My dad didn't get to see the Internet either - or own his own home... I wonder what we won't live to see...?  rubschin:

A proud and successful country with a Government that is full of people with our, rather than their own, best interests at heart..... The way it used to be.

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »

A proud and successful country with a Government that is full of people with our, rather than their own, best interests at heart..... The way it used to be.

happ096
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
In Parliament today
David Cameron has promised to set up a public inquiry into phone hacking at the News of the World.

The UK prime minister said claims that the voicemail of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler had been hacked, with some messages deleted, were "disgusting".

But he told MPs an inquiry could not take place until police investigations were concluded.

Labour leader Ed Miliband said Mr Cameron was "out of touch" and an inquiry should be set up sooner.

The prime minister's spokeswoman told the BBC there could even be two inquiries into phone hacking - one into the police handling of the original investigation in the middle of the last decade, and one into the actions of the media.

Or, alternatively, there could be one all-encompassing inquiry, led by a judge.

Note what Milipede Jnr says
Labour leader Ed Miliband said Mr Cameron was "out of touch" and an inquiry should be set up sooner.

Is the Labour Leader completely stupid? Any fool can work out that a public enquiry at this stage will only hamper an ongoing police enquiry and probably prevent any subsequent criminal charges being brought to court. Fair enough to instigate a public enquiry if Inspector Knacker wasn't already on the job, from which a criminal investigation might well be deemed necessary, and certainly let's have one after Knacker has finished, made a report to the DPP and any charges arising have been through the courts. Such an enquiry would also be able to look at the alleged police involvement and bring into the open any police collusion with the media but at this time Cameron has the right of it.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
yes, they can hardly talk can they - Guido has this...

Subject: Important: Phone hacking

Dear all,

Tom Baldwin has requested that any front bench spokespeople use the following line when questioned on phone hacking.

BSkyB bid and phone tapping
    These issues should not be linked. One is a competition issue, the other an allegation of criminal activity.

On BSkyB, we have been consistent in calling for fair play. We believe ministers should conduct themselves properly in what is a quasi-judicial process. We said Vince Cable showed he was incapable of behaving fairly towards News Corp. We have since raised questions about whether Jeremy Hunt can be fully impartial given his record of past statements. We do believe the bid should be referred to the Competition Commission and think Hunt should get on with it. Downing Street says that Cameron’s dinners with Murdoch will not affect Hunt’s judgement. We have to take them at their word.

On phone hacking, we believe the police should thoroughly investigate all allegations. But this is not just an issue about News International. Almost every media organisation in the country may end up becoming embroiled in these allegations. This goes to the root of a wider problem in public life. MPs are taking a hard look at themselves in the mirror over expenses. It is time the media did so too over the way it conducts itself.

Frontbench spokespeople who want to talk about their personal experiences of being tapped should make it clear they are doing just that – speaking from personal experience.

We must guard against anything which appears to be attacking a particular newspaper group out of spite.

Thanks,

Labour Party Press Office

Shame on all of them....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
"Rupert Murdoch backs Rebekah Brooks in her position as Chief Execurive of News International"

I'll give her 48 hours
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie