Disgusterous

Author Topic: Old cans.  (Read 318 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Old cans.
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »
Just been thinking while puttin' out the re-cycle stuff.  rubschin:

Are these cans that most of us lovingly wash, dry, de-paper (well I do) that we put out for collection once a fortnight, actually worth dosh? If so, wouldn't it be a good idea to collect them ourselves in a monstrous bin, and then weigh them in once a year down the scrappy to help pay for crimbo or summat, rather than see them used for paying for more nonsense for the fat cats of the local council?

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
Re: Old cans.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »
Prolly quite correct, but the council might find a tax for you having such a large storage area for them.

They will always find ways to milk you one way or another.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »
Aluminium cans have some value... and you can crush them down quite small like...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »
Aluminium cans have some value... and you can crush them down quite small like...

Magnet to check them out from the steel ones I presume?

Don't the steel ones have value too?

I'm going to look into this. happy088

Seems crazy giving a potential earning away to the thieving council. evil:
They're looking for ways and means of cutting back, so if I can keep their grubby paws off my stuff, that GOT to be a winner for me.
I reckon a srtandard bin of crushed cans could be worth a few quid ey? rubschin:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:25:50 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »

Magnet to check them out from the steel ones I presume?

Don't the steel ones have value too?

I'm going to look into this. happy088

Seems crazy giving a potential earning away to the thieving council. evil:
They're looking for ways and means of cutting back, so if I can keep their grubby paws off my stuff, that GOT to be a winner for me.
I reckon a srtandard bin of crushed cans could be worth a few quid ey? rubschin:

Watch the Penn & teller thing on recycling....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »
You'll need a licence for handling waste.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-mounted-Crusher-drink/dp/B001UFK6ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310549268&sr=8-1

OR

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Ideas-Tin-Crusher-661/dp/B000VOODI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310549268&sr=8-2

Saves space but Tel is right .... you'll prolly need a licence or summat to get a scrap merchant to buy them off you and no scrappy will want small quantities ~ they deal in tons rather than pounds of the stuff..... They'll also want them clean and paper removed. I know the local Boy Scouts do collect them from time to time and get money for them.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
Are there actually ANY opportunities to help make ends meet where the council don't shaft you? evil:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »
Trip over a paving slab and sue.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
Are there actually ANY opportunities to help make ends meet where the council don't shaft you? evil:

None that I have found that don't involve at least a chance of a long conversation with your friendly neighbourhood cops.  noooo:

Seriously I am a long term believer in "multiple income streams". A little bit of this and a little bit of that if you see what I mean. Cash in hand and no questions asked.
Flogging stuff on ebay works well but that is really only an on-line car boot sale. If you have anything worth flogging the place is often the Sunday Boot Sales and there are loads of those in our area. Start small and build up a trade. The missus used to do a lot of Craft Fairs ... some earned her plenty others she couldn't even cover her costs. You only find the good ones by trying each one and cutting out the dross from experience. If you can get an allotment and greenhouse you can make cash selling plants, seedlings and surplus produce .... keeping a few hens and flogging the eggs is another nice little earner. Nowt big but it could keep you in beer, baccy and cake without attracting the interest of HM Revenue and Customs.
I earn a few quid on the side from writing and from the odd bit of buying and selling. Nothing dodgy and as I class it as a hobby rather than working the tax man doesn't come looking for his share.

I did have a book on the subject that I lent Wenchy a couple or three years ago ~ haven't seen it since so I expect she flogged it.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
PS For example I bought a set of very old books in a village hall in Dorset when we were on holiday three/four years ago. Cost me a fiver ... they are going on Ebay next week with a reserve of £200.

Trading like that can be profitable and, if you don't trade too often, the tax man doesn't bother. They do keep an eye out for regular traders tho' but if you just seem to be flogging off your own belongings ...........  whistle: