Author Topic: Aid to Africa  (Read 263 times)

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Aid to Africa
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
I am sick and tired not to mention irritated by the reporting of the state of play in East Africa.

It is a shame that children are dying but there is not the food to keep them alive.  The drought has been going on for years so why have more children.

Why try and pluck at my heart strings by showing me doe eyed children close to death.  Most aid and money sent there does not get to the children.  The drought is not going to end any time soon.  How long are we supposed to feed them.

A woman that is seriously under nourished becomes infertile.  Once they are fed they will become fertile once more.  More children will be born, more food needed.  More aid needed.

If  we need to solve this problem and for me it is a big if, it is a long term project, involving a complete change of life and mind set for millions of people. I wonder if they would be willing to do that.  Who would run it and how much money would go to the right place.

Throwing food at them is not the answer. angry037
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Aid to Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:41 AM »
Agreed Miss C...

We've been pissing money away in Africa since I was a kid... No better today than it was then...

As you say, we need a solution - not just throwing money at it all the time.

Problem is that these 'charities' are in fact huge businesses - they can't afford to solve the problem or they'd all be out of work... and so it continues...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »
All I say is that despite all the famines, droughts and wars the population of Somalia has tripled since 1960. (3m to 9m)  rubschin:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:50:45 AM »
Agreed Miss C...

We've been pissing money away in Africa since I was a kid... No better today than it was then...

As you say, we need a solution - not just throwing money at it all the time.

Problem is that these 'charities' are in fact huge businesses - they can't afford to solve the problem or they'd all be out of work... and so it continues...

See also cure for cancer, various other terminal illness' and of course cheap alternative fuel.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
All I say is that despite all the famines, droughts and wars the population of Somalia has tripled since 1960. (3m to 9m)  rubschin:

It would be 10m if we sent back all the minicab drivers.

[serious]The problem will never be cured by sending food or money without a change of culture as Miss C says, and all 'charities' are self-serving and ineffective in my opinion. [/serious]
I mostly despair

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
I thought the thread said.........Aids to Africa ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thought about time we sent it back........

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
I thought the thread said.........Aids to Africa ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thought about time we sent it back........

drumroll:

lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: