Disgusterous

Author Topic: Media wary  (Read 740 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Media wary
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:03:56 AM »
The BBC have asked if they can come out with some officers from our team and do a couple of  exposé pieces. You know the stuff  ::)

Not surprisingly no one in the team is willing to be featured or get some of their cases highlighted in this way.

Our Press office is going ballisitic this morning as they have made a committment that we will participate  - they are trying to now apply political pressure to this . To what end really - yes you may get a brief mention on the local news or whatever current affair program it is for and be seen to be tackling this , that and the other but it often brings more trouble than it's worth.

They believe everyone is so hungry to appear on TV and really can't get their heads round the fact that the majority of us would run a mile from a camera .

Eejits  noooo:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:05:49 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Media wary
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
NEVER EVER  trust a journalist  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »
The BBC have asked if they can come out with some officers from our team and do a couple of  exposé pieces. You know the stuff  ::)

Not surprisingly no one in the team is willingly to be featured or get some of their cases highlighted in this way.

Our Press office is going ballisitic this morning as they have made a committment that we will participate  - they are trying to now apply political pressure to this . To what end really - yes you may get a brief mention on the local news or whatever current affair program it is for and be seen to be tackling this , that and the other but it often brings more trouble than it's worth.

They believe everyone is so hungry to appear on TV and really can't get their heads round the fact that the majority of us would run a mile from a camera .

Eejits  noooo:

Oh yes I know the stuff. Loads of film, retakes etc then just "sign this release form that gives your consent to being shown on TV" and the next thing you know that they have edited it to provide whichever bias they wish to put on it. You complain and they point to the signed release form where the very small print gives them absolute right to edit in anyway they think fit and you no right of reply. To be avoided like the plague.
Tell your press office that the TV people are paid more than your staff and suggest they negotiate a suitable appearance fee. That should give 'em summat to chew on.
The BBC will do the programme anyway and frankly your employer would be better off keeping to a strict "We never comment on press speculation. Our clients and staff are entitled to their privacy" because whatever they say the Beeb are looking for a story and it is always going to be anti Government, anti Local Authority etc, even if the programme makers have to manufacture it out of half truths and downright lies.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
NEVER EVER  trust a journalist  noooo:

So true. Some years back Melanie Phillips did a hatchet job on on the nurses and the ward when my ex was in charge . There was hardly a word of truth in the entire article.

Bitch! (Melanie Phillips not my ex)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »
There seem to be a lot of echoes in here  rubschin:

Here's another one. Hardeep Singh Kohli, the TV journo (with the turban) tried to do a piece around something that I and some chums were doing. His presence was unannounced, unarranged, and frankly bloody cheeky. We ignored him, blanked him and carried on in spite of him.
The 'package' never went to air.  eveilgrin:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:35:17 PM by Pastis »
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »
There is a desperate need to fill 'air time' with something ....and truth or reality is often so boring  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »
We could give them TMR's address for a fly on the wall documentary like  rubschin:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »
Not even an 18 certificate could cover his horror show this week  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »
Just a thought but have you thought about psyching them out. Have an unofficial chat with someone from the press office and include a comment about low morale in the department, once you get them thinking that whoever the BBC ends up shadowing will just let rip about the job then they should try somewhere else.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »
Good plan GM  eveilgrin:

I was once with a local journalist in the pub. We were both pissed. I let slip something, but at the time she was actually horizontal under the table  noooo:

It didn't stop her calling me for chapter and verse the following morning  evil:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »
Once upon a time, in a life far far away, I was put up to speak to the media on behalf of the Union of Postal Workers (local branch) ... The interview was recorded by BBC South. An hour interview, when broadcast, was edited to five minutes for the local "magazine" programme, then fronted by one Jenni Murray now of Breast Cancer nagging fame on Women's Hour. They also gave a 30 second audio clip to BBC Radio Solent. They had edited in such a way as to turn three separate answers to three different questions into one answer to the off camera interviewer who, according to the broadcast, asked a totally different question. Clearly a "voice over" job done in the studio. They turned my answers into something completely at odds to what I had actually said and made it seem like an answer to a question that had never been asked of me but it suited their bias.

Never again!

The next time they called me I told them to fvck off.

They then told their audience that the Union had declined to speak to them "To answer important questions" which they claimed was evidence that we were in the wrong.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

chocolatepudding

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 09:41:55 PM »
Many years ago we were staying at my parents' house in Croydon. One morning I found my 7 month old daughter had died in her cot.  Despite administering the kiss of life and an ambulance arriving quickly nothing could be done to save her.  The ambulance stayed at the house for an hour whilst a doctor and relatives arrived.

Three days later I picked up the Croydon Advertiser's latest issue dated 23 December 1976.  On the front page was a completely fictional account of my daughter's death which did not bear any resemblance to the truth.

After all these years I still long to rip that journalist and the Editor to pieces.

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »
Many years ago we were staying at my parents' house in Croydon. One morning I found my 7 month old daughter had died in her cot.  Despite administering the kiss of life and an ambulance arriving quickly nothing could be done to save her.  The ambulance stayed at the house for an hour whilst a doctor and relatives arrived.

Three days later I picked up the Croydon Advertiser's latest issue dated 23 December 1976.  On the front page was a completely fictional account of my daughter's death which did not bear any resemblance to the truth.

After all these years I still long to rip that journalist and the Editor to pieces.

happy100 Shotguns are an amazing invention for getting back at certain types of sheeples. whistle:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »

Parasites and scum of the universe. No moral standards of any description. They'd kill their own parents if it meant a bit of fame for them on the front page.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »

Sorry to hear that - sounds awful.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of redress in these situations either unless you can be prepared to spend a fortune and take an eternity to go through the court process and to what end - any retractions in stories or apologies in newspapers never have the same effect.

A bit like during the court hearing when you are told to ignore something you have just heard because it's inadmissable for some reason.

You have already heard it - you can't ignore it and no matter that you cannot take it into account it is there and lodged in the grey matter  noooo:
Skubber