Disgusterous

Author Topic: RULES FOR A BBQ.  (Read 7423 times)

Bikini Girl

RULES FOR A BBQ.
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:17:02 PM »

RULES FOR A BBQ.

We are about to enter the summer and the BBQ season. Therefore it is important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking activity, as it's the only type of cooking a 'real' man will do, probably because there is an element of danger involved.

When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:

Routine...

(1) The woman buys the food.
(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.
(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

Here comes the important part:

(4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....

(5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
(6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

More important action:

(7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine....

(8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings them to the table.
(9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:

(10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
(11) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off." And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women....

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: RULES FOR A BBQ.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:07:02 AM »
Observe at your next BBQ

Simon was at the barbecue and Dave was at the barbecue and I was at the barbecue; three men standing around a barbecue, sipping beer, staring at sausages, rolling them backwards and forwards, never leaving them alone. We didn't know why we were at the barbecue; we were just drawn there like moths to a flame. The barbecue was a powerful gravitational force, a man-magnet.

Dave said the thin ones could use a turn, I said yeah I reckon the thin ones could use a turn, Simon said yeah they really need a turn - it was a unanimous turning decision. Simon was the Tong-Master, a true artist, he gave a couple of practice snaps of his long silver tongs, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of his wrist, rolling them onto their little backs. A lesser tong-man would've flicked too hard; the sausages would've gone full circle, back to where they started. Nice, I said. The others went yeah.

Dan was passing us, he heard the siren-song-sizzle of the snags, the barbecue was calling, beckoning, Dannnnn ...come. He stuck his head in and said any room? We said yeah and began the barbecue shuffle; Simon shuffled to the left, Dave shuffled to the left, I shuffled to the left, Dan slipped in beside me, we sipped our beer.

Now there were four of us staring at sausages, and Simon gave me the nod, my cue. I was second-in-command, and I had to take the raw sausages out of the plastic bag and lay them on the barbecue; not too close together, not too far apart, curl them into each other's bodies like lovers -fat ones, thin ones, herbed and continental. The chipolatas were tiny, they could easily slip down between the grill, falling into the molten hot-bead-netherworld below. Carefully I laid them sideways ACROSS the grill, clever thinking. Simon snapped his tongs with approval; there was no greater barbecue honour. P.J. came along, he said looking good, looking good - the irresistible lure of the barbecue had pulled him in too. We said yeah and did the shuffle, left, left, left, left, he slipped in beside Dan, we sipped our beer. Five men, lots of sausages.

Dave was the Fork-pronger; he had the fork that pronged the tough hides of the Bavarian bratwursts and he showed a lot of promise. Stabbing away eagerly, leaving perfect little vampire holes up and down the casing. P.J. was shaking his head, he said I reckon they cook better if you don't poke them. There was a long silence, you could have heard a chipolata drop, and this newcomer was a rabble-rouser, bringing in his crazy ideas from outside. He didn't understand the hierarchy; first the Tong-master, then the Sausage-layer, then the Fork-pronger - and everyone below was just a watcher. Maybe eventually they'll move up the ladder, but for now - don't rock the Weber.

Dianne popped her head in; hmmm, smells good, she said. She was trying to jostle into the circle; we closed ranks, pulling our heads down and our shoulders in, mumbling yeah, yeah, yeah, but making no room for her. She was keen, going round to the far side of the barbecue, heading for the only available space . . . the gap in the circle where all the smoke and ashes blew. Nobody could survive the gap; Dianne was going to try. She stood there stubbornly, smoke blinding her eyes, ashes filling her nostrils, sausage fat spattering all over her arms and face. Until she couldn't take it anymore, she gave up, backed off.

Dan waited till she was gone and sipped his beer. We sipped our beer, yeah. Simon handed me his tongs. I looked at him and he nodded. I knew what was happening, I'd waited a long time for this moment - the abdication. The tongs weighed heavy in my hands, firm in my grip - was I ready for the responsibility? Yes, I was. I held them up high and they glinted in the sun. Don't forget to turn the thin ones Simon said as he walked away from the barbecue, disappearing toward the house. Yeah I called back, I will, I will. I snapped them twice, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of my wrist, rolling them back onto their little bellies. I was a natural, I was the TONG-MASTER. But only until Simon got back from the toilet.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:01:33 AM »
Here on the North Wales Coast:

Get BBQ out of the shed, spend morning cleaning the grill, ask each member of family what they would like ~ get four different answers, go to village butcher and buy steaks, sausages, chicken bits (not coated) chicken bits (coated), return home to be informed that wife has telephoned several friends who "may drop round", go back to butcher who, smilingly, doubles the order. Nip into off licence and pick up a 20 bottle pack of Stella, stagger to car then return to offie for bottles of lemonade and one of sangria (because there will always be some tw@t who asks for it), collect new meat order, go to grocers for pre-packed salad .... they have none so drive 7 miles to supermarket. Whilst getting salad remember to pick up a couple of french sticks and some prawns from the fish counter. Return home. Wife reminds me that she is allergic to prawns. "Well don't eat any" comment is not well received.
Assemble all items needed and return to shop to buy another cheap pair of tongs having discovered that the old ones have been used, by 6 year old, to dig the garden and bury poo left by next door's cat.....
BBQ time approaches, phone rings and one set of friends cancel, thank them for letting us know, hang up and another call comes in from other invited friends .... can they bring MiL, agree that this is better than leaving the old dear "on her own", informed she is vegetarian (and they want to bring her to a BBQ????) suggest prawns will be available ~ she too is allergic to them. Return to garden and light BBQ, go to kitchen to find wife has prepared salad ie she has used scissors to open the pack of pre-washed mixed leaf and tipped it into a bowl. Return to garden and notice large clouds gathering, to the west, over the sea. Collect meat from kitchen, place next to BBQ, leave 8yo to guard meat against next door's cat and return to kitchen to get a beer. Back to garden to find 8yo and 6yo "fencing" with BBQ skewers. Foreseeing an evening at A&E relieve them of the skewers and sent them to find out what their mother is doing. She is in the bath! Answer front door bell to find standing on the step a spotted yoof seeking an audience with 13yo daughter ~ inform daughter of his presence and am instructed to tell him she is "OUT". Do this and return to garden to find next door's cat sat on table chewing what looks like the remains of a steak. Notice also that the dark clouds are getting closer. Chase cat away and go to answer front door. What appears to me to be same spotted yoof asking for daughter. Tell him to try again tomorrow as she is out. Return to garden, on route informing daughter that she answers the next ring at the door. She demands to know who just called and when told bursts into tears as she REEEAALLLLYYYY wanted to see him ~ he is, it appears, not the same spotted yoof as previously given the old heave ho. Return to garden to find cat I have never seen before eating prawns as if they are going out of fashion. Wife appears clad in sarong, with towel round her head .... make remark about Dorothy Lamour only to be reminded that I am 12 years older than wife who has never heard of DL. Door bell rings, daughter is having a fit in her room, both boys are watching TV and cannot hear anything and wife shrieks "I must dry my hair" and runs to bedroom ~ so I answer the door and usher in guests plus their MiL ~ I'm still not sure whose MiL she is and she appears to have no name other than "Mum" so I settle on calling her "Dear" ~ issue all with drinks, nobody want Sangria. Return to garden to find two cats (stranger and Cat from next door) sneaking away from the remains of some spicy coated chicken wings, cats are looking a little upset so I deduce that "spicy coated" is not their bag. Unfortunately all the guests have also seen this so I make jocular remarks about "the bits that got away" and hasten to place all remaining meats etc onto the grill. Coals are now exactly the right shade of white as described in the BBQer's manual. Coated chicken immediately drips coating onto the coals and smoke billows upwards, then drifts determinedly towards visitors MiL who is looking lost. I realise that I have failed to get out garden chairs so rush to fetch these from the garage where they have over-wintered and start putting them out onto the patio, surreptitiously brushing cobwebs and  spiders off as I go. Wife makes grand entrance and asks for a drink. I return to kitchen, through which she has just passed, pour her a drink and take it out to the patio where she tells me that the meat may be burning. Rush to BBQ and start turning things with my fingers because 6yo had got fed up watching TV and is digging in the garden with the new tongs. Dash back to kitchen for plates and start dishing out that meat which is cooked. Black clouds have now reached the village and are directly overhead. Rain, of Biblical proportions, starts to fall. BBQ is immediately dowsed, with spitting coals and ash covering every thing on the grill. Friends rush indoors with wife leading the charge. Elderly MiL had fallen asleep in plastic chair but wakes, confused, at finding herself under a shower whilst fully clothed. I help her indoors, round up children who are sheltering under patio table and take them indoors. Rain is clearly set in for the rest of the day so go to freezer and extract large bag of easy flow minced beef. Place this in saucepan with diced onions, put another pan of water on to boil ready for the pasta .... go upstairs to dry myself and change out of sodden clothing. Return to kitchen, stir mince, add herbs etc and a couple of tins of tomatoes, remember visitor's MiL is veggie so prepare a cheese sauce. Finally put pasta into boiling water. Everything now ready, fresh drinks issued, daughter on 'phone to spotty yoof number 1, swearing eternal devotion. Boys back in front of TV trying to explain Ninja Turtles to elderly MiL who is looking even more bewildered. Finally assemble Spag Bog for 8 and spag with cheese sauce for one, take it to dinning room, open 2 bottles of wine and call all to the table. As we sit I glance out of window and see that the rain has stopped, the sun is shining and four cats are finishing the BBQ.

Following day put BBQ back into shed and swear "Never again"  crying3:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:17:45 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »
Excellent!

I spotted your problem tho...  rolleyes:

Quote from: Snoopy
Get BBQ out of the shed, spend morning cleaning the grill, ask each...

1st rule of BBQ ? never clean off the patina of filth on the rungs!  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
Excellent!

1st rule of BBQ – never clean off the patina of filth on the rungs!  noooo:

No choice ~ wife purchased "special offer" BBQ Cleaner spray and little stiff plastic brush "so you can clean the BBQ BEFORE Sunday". Options came there none.  rolleyes:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »
Excellent!

1st rule of BBQ ? never clean off the patina of filth on the rungs!  noooo:

No choice ~ wife purchased "special offer" BBQ Cleaner spray and little stiff plastic brush "so you can clean the BBQ BEFORE Sunday". Options came there none.  rolleyes:
Okay, fair enough?

Second rule of BBQ ? do whatever SWMBO says?   whip:

Did you find out if the cleaning stuff was flammable tho? Last season mine had a particularly healthy growth of black filth and even I thought a bit of ?burning off? was necessary?  scared2:

I doused on a half bottle of Zivanea (a spirit they brew from grape much after they?ve made the wine and the local equivalent of rocket fuel). There was a huge fire ball that singed off eyebrows, chest hair, arms and ?fringe??    sad24:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
Dunno what it was ~ some cr*p she found on offer at the ? shop I 'spect

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
Dunno what it was ~ some cr*p she found on offer at the ? shop I 'spect
You didn't try it????  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 12:38:13 PM »
I refer the honourable member to the reply I gave earlier
Viz: You haven't met my wife scared2:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
Oh I see...  whip:

BTW - you can say crap and all sorts of other words on here!  wink:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »
Oh I see...  whip:

BTW - you can say crap and all sorts of other words on here!  wink:

I realise that but there really is no need ~ I often think that it is best to * or ' or even @ than spell it out fully ... gives it even more fvck1ng stress if you know what I mean ~ beside we have more ladies present than I first realised and p!ss taking apart they do deserve some respect ~ even when I know there is no chance of getting their knickers off. noooo:

You mustn't run away with the idea that Mrs M#2 is a dragon ~ that accolade belongs to her predecessor in the job but it makes for a better story if I depict her that way. Actually she is the sweetest, kindest, nicest person I ever met and has been a great source of joy and happiness to me for twenty years now ~ even if she does have small ( . ) ( . ) I love her dearly ............. and if you tell her that I'll f*in' kill you.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:18:23 PM »
So who actually lights the bugger? Mr Wench can cook the stuff, kind of, but he can't light the thing to save his life!

re swearing: I don't mind really. redface: Just not every other word and NEVER the c-word.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »
So who actually lights the bugger? Mr Wench can cook the stuff, kind of, but he can't light the thing to save his life!

re swearing: I don't mind really. redface: Just not every other word and NEVER the c-word.

You know those mini blow torch things that chefs on the telly use to finish a Creme Brulee well that's what I use, that and some lighter fuel. (Interesting I can't seem to get the little accents on the e.) But I 'spect you know what I mean.

As for the cussin' and stuff ~ Some respect for the ladies doesn't hurt and it does make the cussin' all the more meaningful when you feel the need.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 05:47:02 AM »
Lighting the BBQ is mans work ? as is the cooking?  rolleyes:

Does Mr. Wench struggle with any other masculine tasks?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Nick

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »
We are having a BBQ on Sunday, and I shall bear all of the above in mind. I find myself wondering if I could clean the BBQ with, er, Brick Acid.