Disgusterous

Author Topic: Trains abroad  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Re: Trains abroad
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
What a coincidence. I've just bought a senior person's rail card today  [smug]  cloud9:
Two rail trips coming up, but neither abroad  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
What a coincidence. I've just bought a senior person's rail card today  [smug]  cloud9:
Two rail trips coming up, but neither abroad  rubschin:

Ah 'senior person's rail card...prolly neither trips will be aboard either. point:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
Is this comment about my advancing years or the crap service?   ;)
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »

YOU, you wiley owld buzzerd. ;)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
If it is any help virtually all Swiss rail employees speak English. All Swiss trains run to time. Swiss stations are well signposted and they are usually staffed so it is hard to go wrong.
Lil Bruv, who would not mind me saying , is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, travels regularly to Switzerland. Usually Manc via Swiss Air to Zurich and gets trains to his Daughter's. If he can't get a Swiss Air flight he goes from Liverpool via Sleezy Jet (a 'orrible experience he says) to Basel and thence by a series of trains. Lil Bruv's only spoken German or French is to hold up one finger and shout "BEER". It seems to work for him.
Things to remember in Switzerland are that smoking in public places is a no-no and dropping any litter is likely to get you lynched! Otherwise they are most polite and forgiving. Oh and they have a zero tolerance to drinking and driving.
Everyone in Switzerland travels by train. They are the most efficient railways in the world. People seldom get a bus as trains run everywhere, even through most town centres.

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 06:21:15 PM »

I couldn't possibly comment, however do pay attention to what Growler says in this instance. whistle:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
If it is any help virtually all Swiss rail employees speak English. All Swiss trains run to time. Swiss stations are well signposted and they are usually staffed so it is hard to go wrong.
Lil Bruv, who would not mind me saying , is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, travels regularly to Switzerland. Usually Manc via Swiss Air to Zurich and gets trains to his Daughter's. If he can't get a Swiss Air flight he goes from Liverpool via Sleezy Jet (a 'orrible experience he says) to Basel and thence by a series of trains. Lil Bruv's only spoken German or French is to hold up one finger and shout "BEER". It seems to work for him.
Things to remember in Switzerland are that smoking in public places is a no-no and dropping any litter is likely to get you lynched! Otherwise they are most polite and forgiving. Oh and they have a zero tolerance to drinking and driving.
Everyone in Switzerland travels by train. They are the most efficient railways in the world. People seldom get a bus as trains run everywhere, even through most town centres.

So, me newly to be temporary adopted BIG 'me 'ill summit is a no no for a rollie then? eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »
Lil Bruv carries one of these for his ash and rollie stubs. Just don't drop yer ash or fag ends anywhere. Most bars and cafes have an outdoor smoking area. Even though both my niece and her partner smoke they won't do so in their home but go onto their balcony with a personal ashtray.

I bought myself one in France and use it when I go abroad.  angel1
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
http://youtu.be/gmd7ZS3CvuI                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Is this the reason for the Swiss trip Growler, you a secret yodeller like? whistle:
I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 12:38:52 PM »
In the process of sorting me forthcoming trip out into the wilderness.  Banghead
Now considering big silver berd to Geneva, courtesy of Council Tenant Airways 'cus it's dert cheap like, and then a Thomas the Tank steam engine  cloud9: ('opefully but probably doubtful cry: ) from there to Interlaken.
What problems am I likely to encounter, 'cus I've never been on their trains before?
Can I/should I pre book d'ya think, or is tha'ra bit dodgy in case the plane's late arriving like?

I'm a bit confuslicated, bewilderd and overwhelmed about it all tbh confused:

Try here  Its the Transfer Ticket one.   Whats your start and finish points?
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
In the process of sorting me forthcoming trip out into the wilderness.  Banghead
Now considering big silver berd to Geneva, courtesy of Council Tenant Airways 'cus it's dert cheap like, and then a Thomas the Tank steam engine  cloud9: ('opefully but probably doubtful cry: ) from there to Interlaken.
What problems am I likely to encounter, 'cus I've never been on their trains before?
Can I/should I pre book d'ya think, or is tha'ra bit dodgy in case the plane's late arriving like?

Mechanical berd to Geneva, Thomas the Tank to Interlaken, well that's the current plan.
Might hire a car now though IF the Swiss motorway toll thingy whatsit pass charges are included.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:29:46 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

Mechanical berd to Geneva, Thomas the Tank to Interlaken, well that's the current plan.
Might hire a car now though IF the Swiss motorway toll thingy whatsit pass charges are included.

Just WHAT is so complicated about catching a fooking train??  Banghead
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »

Just WHAT is so complicated about catching a fooking train??  Banghead

Fookin' NOTHING, apart from the possibilty of missing yer connection due to the wrong kind of wind for the 'plane, or other such shite, like air traffic control on strike on  piggin' Attu Island, or someone farting a gas cloud 300feet down in a coal mine on the south coast of bloody Australia...THAT'S WHAT! Banghead

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 04:55:31 PM »
If you factor in some small delay time between flight arrival & getting to train that should permit the stress levels to be contained. You may be able to get a flexible train ticket that let's you get on any train when you arrive.

If it is a more serious delay then your insurance should cover the costs of having to buy another ticket.
Skubber

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
That piece of common sense will enrage the bear noooo:

It's just not the way his brain cell werks
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile